Vacation.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BHSBrass, Jun 22, 2009.

1. BHSBrass

BHSBrass New Friend

May 20, 2008
    Hi everyone,

In two weeks I am going to be going on a vacation to Disney world for one week, and I was wondering if anyone could give me the best advice to keep my chops up for that one week of no solid practice time.

We are staying in a hotel so I cant really do any normal practicing of any sort but my options are pencil exercise, mouthpiece buzzing, lip buzzing, lead pipe buzzing, and some breathing exercises; or of course a good old fashioned practice mute.

If I only have about 30 mins a day to keep my chops up what do you guys recommend doing so I don't come back with any huge decrease in ability?

Thanks

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I recommend the horn with the mute if you REALLY don't want a short creative break. A week off means 4 weeks to get back into shape.

Sometimes a week off is a REAL good idea. Quality time with the loved ones, with NO distractions could get you enough brownie points to make the fall really interesting.........

3. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    "Sometimes a week off is a REAL good idea. Quality time with the loved ones, with NO distractions could get you enough brownie points to make the fall really interesting........."

lol... unless your "loved ones" play instruments too... ;)

jk, ne ways, rowuk pretty much hit the nail on the head, if worst comes to worst, just make sure to use your mouthpiece... from personal experience, a week off is horrible... make sure to play a little bit bro and you will surve... lol

4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Unless you have a gig or concert as soon as you get back I would leave the horn at home , maybe just bring the mouthpiece, it shouldn't take you more than 4-7 days to get back in shape every now and then we could all use a stress free vacation, enjoy the week and don't worry about the trumpet, I'm sure your family will.

5. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Pianissimo User

May 23, 2009
    Dallas
    Just grab a practice or harmon mute and play long tones for a fair amount. It'll keep your chops from deteriorating too much. It's what I plan to do on my vacation, at least.

6. jonterman

jonterman Pianissimo User

Jan 4, 2009
    I'm a playing addict, I can't go a day without picking up my horn. For me it goes beyond losing my chops...I'm obsessed!

I couldn't imagine going on vacation for a week without playing, so I bought one of those cheap eBay Chinese pocket trumpets...the kind everyone says not to buy because the valves are terrible, and they are a waste of money. Well everyone was right, the valves are slow - but they work well enough to do slurs, long tones, Clarke 1st studies, scales, and arpeggios - maybe even a simple etude or 2. The bell is big enough to put my Best Brass mute in it. So for 15 - 30 min a day I get my fix, and my family can tolerate me because I was able to play the trumpet.

Thats how I have gotten through...and how I'll get through going to China this Summer for two weeks to get my daughter!:thumbsup:

Good luck!

Jon

7. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    yea... once trumpet becomes less of a chore and something you love to do, you realize that its alot easier to get better...

8. jonterman

jonterman Pianissimo User

Jan 4, 2009
    BTW...In my opinion Disney is the ultimate vacation, I've been there 4 times - 2 times in my adult life...I enjoyed it more as an adult. Where are you staying?

Have a great time! Don't forget your horn and mute. Say 'hi' to Pocohantas for me (we bumped into her at the Animal Kingdom). Make sure you see the 'Whoop - de - doo' at Ft. Wilderness. Great show, great music.

Regards,

Jon

9. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Your mouthpiece + 2 meters of garden hose!

Plus maybe a pair of scissors for fine tuning . . .:D

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  10. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    hey sofus, in america we use the western hick measurement... can you please convert 2 meters to whatever it is in american?