Vacchiano book

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    When I was in NYC I found one of the several books by Vacchiano published by Peters. This one is excellent: it's the Moving Transposition book. No, Vacchiano didn't go all Emo late in life. It's what the old guard used to call "Roadmap" transposition etudes. A few measures in one transposition and then another and another, etc. The facing page has the same study in just one printed key with suggested whole-etude transpositions.

The twist is that, like most orchestral trumpet parts, there are no key signatures! All the accidentals are written in just like most orchestral parts. I recommend it highly as a great way to relearn the Sacshe book.

ML

2. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona

Plus, it’s got a fantastic cover and looks great sitting on a music stand!!!

[​IMG]

3. trumpetdoc

trumpetdoc New Friend

Oct 11, 2004
    NYC/Long Island
    Hello Manny,

I spoke to you via TM shortly after Bill left us. I was the person who spent a great deal of time with him the last 4 or 5 years of his life. I still miss his friendship.

Anyway, I did the editing for that book. I used to take Bill's hand manuscript and enter it into Finale. We then spent time editing it to his satisfaction. After that he submitted it to the publisher, in this case, Peters. I did this all free for him because I valued his friendship so much.

It is a wonderful book. As you well know, at one time the Sachse book was the standard for learning transposition. Today very few college students know this book. Bill felt that many teachers found it to be too difficult (believe it or not!). He had hoped that his book would reintroduce this gem to the university trumpet world and become the standard once again.

As you also know, when we studied with him he would have us change transposition from one moment to the next. As soon as you settled in and got comfortable with a certain transposition while playing an etude, he would stop you and ask you to continue in a new key. So this book that you mention is a printed version of how he taught and what he expected us to be able to do.

Any student serious about the orchestral field should purchase, devour, and eventually master this book. At this point in my life I make my living doing commercial playing here in NYC but I pull the book out every now and then to see if I still remember those lessons he taught.

I'm glad that you found this very valuable book. Spread the word

Fondly,
    Leon

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Well, Leon, you did a great job. It's a very classy book and easy to read. It really was like having a lesson with him again.

Congratulations and best wishes on any and all other projects.

ML