Vacchiano

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by poochie, Jan 10, 2006.

1. poochie

poochie New Friend

Nov 3, 2005
    new jersey
    Tomorrow at Julliard at 5 pm there will be a memorial gathering in honour of Mr. Vacchiano.There was a trumpet teacher geneology tree started at one point,would it be possible to get this going again to show links to Mr. Vacchianno.?

eg. Mel Broiles>>> William Vachianno>>>>me

2. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Jim,

There was a great article written in the December 1991 ITG Journal about Mr. Vacchiano which provided an extremely detailed look at four of his main students and all of the students that they taught. There were several articles about Vacchiano in the ITG Journals, but I think this is the right one (I’ll check at home tonight). There are literally pages and pages of his students names! You should check with your colleagues to see if they have a copy.

Also, Brian Shook is writing a bio of Mr. Vacchiano that should be out very soon (there may be additional, more current information contained in his book).

Here is the link to the Trumpet Tree post at the TH.

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    A few years ago I went to the Juilliard archives to do some research on Miles Davis, who briefly studied with Vacchiano. I requested the list of students who studied with Vacchiano and, even in the mid 40s, Vachiano had upwards of 25 students each semester. Incredible.
    -Jimi

4. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Have you guys seen the book about the making of Kind of Blue? It list Miles grades from Juilliard.