Vacchiano's mutes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bulldog, Mar 20, 2007.

1. bulldog

bulldog Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2003
    Hi Manny,

I was listening to some NY Phil recordings from the 60's and I really dig the way the muted passages sound. Do you know what mutes Vacchiano was using back then? And what ever happened to them?

There are tons of vintage trumpets and mouthpieces out there, why not vintage mutes?

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I would assume he used the mutes that bore his and Alessi's names, the Vacchiano/Alessi straight mutes.

ML

3. bulldog

bulldog Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2003
    They were making those things way back then too?

I guess I was hoping for a more exotic answer, like some little old man sat hunched over making these very special mutes by hand that only a blessed few ever got to use.

Oh well.

4. tpetplyr

tpetplyr Pianissimo User

Dec 15, 2003
    Boston
    Fine...Back then they were exquisitely-wrought hand-made mutes, using the finest brass and hundereds of man hours to perfect. Today's mutes are cheap mass-prod knockoffs with bad QC designed only to make a buck. They are nothing like the wonders that were before...

How's that?
    ::Tongue Firmly in Cheek::
    Stuart

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Hand crafted mutes are still available...but are expensive. AMR, Trumcor are just two examples...I suppoese that Stuart made a joke about this...

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    It's funny.. a couple od seasons ago we played Iberia with a French conductor and he asked for a little different sound and I went backstage to our collection of mutes and pulled out 3 vacchiano mutes. The sound was fabulous with ALL three of us playing them. I agree with the first post, they posess a unique sound that you don't hear anymore as a section.

It's a more metallic sound rather than the more open yet veiled sound that other mutes provide. I will say this, however: the TrumCor mutes that Rick Giangiulio helps design are excellent and our first choice for most things.

ML

7. green_eagle18

green_eagle18 Pianissimo User

Jun 25, 2006
    Denton, TX.
    i agree - trumcor has some of the best - though a little pricey...