Valium for performance anxiety

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by shooter, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    I took one Valium pill one time. That was the only time in my life I ever filled a prescription for one pill. When I was in my early 20s, my wisdom teeth were impacted and I needed to have them surgically removed. The oral surgeon said: "We usually do this with local anesthesia. We can also use general anesthesia if you prefer, but it takes longer to recover."

I said, "Doc. I'm a total coward about these kinds of things. You need to knock me out." But then I thought about it some more and called him back saying "OK. I'll try it if you will. But I'm still a coward."

He said, "Come in the day before. I'll write you a prescription for Valium. It'll just help you relax."

RELAX? On that stuff he could removed any of my body parts, and I wouldn't have cared. It didn't make me weak or sleepy or anything. Just very, very unconcerned about much of anything. If had tried to blow Taps on that stuff, it might have come out St. James Infirmary Blues instead, for all I know, and I wouldn't have cared.

For the most part, I just don't understand how people can become addicted to drugs. But for someone who is kind of nervous and high-strung, I completely get how they could get hooked on Valium.

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Maybe you didn't notice it, but you just answered your own question. ;-)

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Shooter.

Just tell the doctor your concern and let him pick the medication. He might have something that would work better than Valium for the situation.

4. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    ...for the most part...

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I played a slew of chorals for my German mother-in-law's service. My doctor gave me a Beta-Blocker. It dampened the feeling of shakiness, but not the love coming out the horn.

As always with things medicinal, speak to a medical professional first. I've known too many musicians whose self-medicating turned nasty on them.

6. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Ok, I must chime in again! I do NOT use valium (Sobril) on regular basis. But lately, the past four years I often get nerves, wich I NEVER experienced before. I messed up (kløna til) two performances with those crappy nerves. I use Sobril when I feel anxious up front of a performance, or when I suddenly have an anxiety attack during performance. It happens maybe 15-20% of the time, and would probably quit for good if it wasn't for those meds. As I said, I've never experienced flaws in my playing regarding the meds, just the other way around. I do not feel like a drug addict …

7. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    Well. As it turns out, I won't be sounding TAPS. I was just informed that the Navy wanted to follow protocol and provide their own bugler for the service. Now I'm extremely disappointed.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    You've described the lobotic effect some, like me, derive from Valium (diazepam). At the time I was also Rx'd Darvon by US Public Health Service, the latter subsequently FDA pulled from the market in US. Darvon was producing a jaundice effect with me. Then too, I was bed-ridden.

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I'm not aware of any protocol that requires that the bugler be of the same service as the others in an honor guard. For one reason or another this particular honor guard wants to do it that way, but I'm not aware of any prohibitions, otherwise. If you are "extremely disappointed", I'd take it up with the commander of the honor guard and be a bit assertive about it. He might make an exception.

(Now that I think about it, depending on where you live, there actually might not be a naval bugler available for the service. Services like burial details have been cut way back in recent years. It would be a shame to be refused the opportunity for you to play, only to show up and see a retiree or civilian playing as part of the honor guard, in your place.)

10. mrbill00

mrbill00 Pianissimo User

Apr 20, 2009
    Middle of Georgia
    There is No protocol that overrides Family wishes. No disrespect, but the Navy doesn't have many buglers. If they send a "live" player, only then would I defer.
    However, if they(Navy) show up with a recording bugle it should be YOU, the live player, who does the Honors.