Value of a restored benge

Discussion in 'Horns' started by musicalmason, Jan 13, 2006.

1. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Ok, so Im going to be completley honest here. Many of you who follow this forum may know that a while ago I got a very good deal on a chicago benge. I only payed (I forget exactly) $350 for it. It is a large bore and in fairly good condition, however I knew it did not play to its full potential and has been sitting in my closet for about a year. Well I decided that it was time to find out how it actually played. I thought it just needed a valve alignment and a valve replate, so I sent it out to doctor valve, thinking that itll be restored to its best playing potetial, I can compare it to my bach 37, and depending on which one played the best, I would sell one and make my money back, and getting the satisfaction of finally knowing how the benge was supposed to play in the process. Well I just heard back from Steve, and as it turns out the benge needs more work than I though to reach its full playing potentail, but as he said it is "a very good starting place for a restoration." It needs work on the valve slides and a few other things that would require the horn coming apart, which would entail a full restoration and re-finishing, but the horn would end up a very good playing instrument that looks fantastic too. Heres my question though, with a starting price of $350 and a full restoration running about $1100 (in that range depending on what plating I choose) if I get the horn back, but I still like my bach better, would I be able to make my money back by selling the benge? in other words, what do you think a fully restored chicago benge large bore would pull on the open market? I realize if the benge ends up playing better than my bach, Im not going to get that kind of money out of my bach, but I would end up with a better horn so its worth it. So I guess my final question is, If I put the money into the horn for a full restoration, but still end up likeing my bach more in the end, will the horn pay for itself if I decide to sell it?

2. felix c

felix c Pianissimo User

Dec 5, 2003
    Puerto Rico
    Well Im a Benge Fan. If this Benge were mine I will send it to Kanstul in California for the total overhowl. For the total invetment of aprox 1500 dollars, you will have in your hands a Historic Trumpet that if you sell it you will sell it in more than 2000 dollars. I recomend you keep it until you can repair its like a Bach Mount Vernon.

3. topo3man

topo3man Pianissimo User

Jun 24, 2005
    Wilmington, DE
    The basic question is whether a large bore Chicago Benge in perfect condition that was restored by one of the best in the business will go for more than ~$1500? The answer is yes it will! If you don't get any bites, I will buy it from you for that and count myself as one lucky guy. I have a Chicago Benge ML bore and it is fantastic. It is actually with Steve now. I wouldn't trust anyone else with my instruments, other than maybe Charlie Melk (but I have no experience with Charlie).

4. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Steve is restoring a CG Benge for me that belonged to Mel Broiles. His work is exceptional, I trust him completely, and when I get this Benge back I'll tell you how it came out.

It's well worth the price as far as I'm concerned.

5. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    Please let us know how the horns turn out. Steve Winans is a true craftsman on bringing horns back to close to their original condition. I know for lacquering he uses Charlie Melk. I just bought one of John Hagestroms horns from him. A great guy to deal with.

Mike

6. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Should have it back this next week or so!

:D