value of Conn, Director trumpet

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by trinna, Jul 3, 2011.

1. trinna

trinna New Friend

Jul 3, 2011
    I have a Conn trumpet.The model/serial # is 918112. On the mouth piece it says Vincent Bach 3C,. It is a Director.
    On the horn it says Director and has an engraving of three marching band members. Could you tell me what year it is and it's apx. value? It has some dings in it. It has the original case. I tried finding the age on the website that lists all the model#'s for Conn trumpets, but it stated there should be a B on the mouthpiece not a C, and I could not find the 918112 model # anywhere.
    Thank you for your help,
    Trinna

2. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    There are Director Trumpets and Director cornets. the B reference is for on the receiver for the mouthpiece ,not the mouth piece itself. on some the B means trumpet, an A will mean cornet. This differentiates the long model cornets from the trumpets. The long models look quite similar to the trumpets.
    Does yours have a coprion( copper color) bell? A pic would help identifying model number. As far as serial lists go, they are there on the Conn Loyalist site..........Buck:play::oops:

Just went to the Loyalist site. Your serial should fall between 1961 or 1962

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  3. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Your Conn's value depends on the bell material and condition of the horn.
    If it has a "normal" brass bell, your value is between $100 and $175.
    With a copper bell, your horn is worth around $225.00 to $275.00.
    These estimates are for playable horns that do not need major repair.
    Rich T.

4. trinna

trinna New Friend

Jul 3, 2011
    Here are two pictures of the trumpet. I think they uploaded.
    Thank you for your reply.

5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Your photos did not upload. This site no longer accepts direct uploads. In order for photos to appear, you must upload them to a 3rd party hosting site such as Photobucket, Flikr, or similar. Then copy the IMG link to your post here. The photos will appear as long as you have them on the hosting site.

To add some information about your trumpet. The model is Director and the serial number is 918112 and that is what determines the date of manufacture. I have a Director trumpet of about that same vintage. They are nice players but they are the student line of Conn for that era and as such do not bring much money. As mentioned, the "Coprion" (copper-colored) bell does bring a premium price as long as it is not damaged. They are more difficult to repair so if they are dented or twisted, they lose some of their value.

6. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Well now, send a p.m. to some hoople here like me. I'll send my email address and you can forward the pics to me and I'll post'em on my photobucket account.

7. trinna

trinna New Friend

Jul 3, 2011
  8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Nice looking trumpet. You might get $150 - $200.

9. trinna

trinna New Friend

Jul 3, 2011
    Thank you. It has dents in so that is more than I thought it was worth.

10. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I bought a 1960 Coprion Director a few weeks ago for $225, then traded it for a Yamaha 5335. Last week a restored coprion 1960 went for $520

You can look at completed eBay sales to get a general idea.

Yours is a 1961-62 sn#.