Value of Coronet

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Novam, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Novam

Novam New Friend

Dec 20, 2016
    We recently found my hubby's old Olds Coronet, he used it in the early 1960's - the serial number is 321xxx, still in the original case and in fairly good condition .....any idea on what it might be worth??

2. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    New Zealand
    Pictures so we can identify the model of the cornet and it is not safe to release all digits of the serial number.
    I recommend doing 321XXX.

3. Novam

Novam New Friend

Dec 20, 2016
    /Users/Nova/Desktop/IMG_0914.jpg

4. Novam

Novam New Friend

Dec 20, 2016
  5. Niner

Niner Forte User

Sep 6, 2011
    Alabama
    You could try using photobucket.

What does it say on the bell? Ambassador by any chance? That was the one most band kids had in the 60's. Serial makes it 1959...maybe 1960. Probably has the six sided end on the receiver? Pinkie ring in a C shape?

Check out ebay sold listings.

6. True Tone

True Tone Piano User

Aug 16, 2015
    Alabama
    A serial of 321xxx fits in for the early 60s on an Olds.
    If it's not marked Ambassador, is it marked Special, Studio, Super, Recording, Opera, or Mendez, or none of these?

7. OldSchoolEuph

OldSchoolEuph Mezzo Piano User

Apr 1, 2011
    Michigan
    If attachments continue to fight you, try matching it to the pictures in the Olds model guide at www.trumpet-history.com.

Peter McNeill likes this.
  8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Novam,
    Welcome to TM.

As others are indicating here, we cannot but guess without knowing the Make and Model. The attachment failed, so we have not got a clue - we are guessing at best.

It is like asking, "My Dad left me a Ford Car with a Rego of XYX-123, what's it worth?" If you reflect on your question, I am sure you can see the gap.
    Questions:
    1..Is there a Make on the Bell (the Flared tulip part)
    2. Is it Silver, or Brass or a mixture.
    3. It is a Cornet, Not a Coronet - a Coronet is usually with diamonds, and worn by a woman on her head.
    4. Does it have a case?
    5. Does it have a mouthpiece?
    6. Do the valves go up and down freely, or do they sort or stick, or are stuck?
    7...Any dents, dings in it?

A photo can help a lot.
    Thanks, and looking forward to helping

9. Novam

Novam New Friend

Dec 20, 2016
    It does say Ambassador, then below that Fullerton, CA - it is brass and has the mouthpiece with it, has the C shaped pinkie ring as well........... IMG_0914.jpg

10. Novam

Novam New Friend

Dec 20, 2016
    It does say Ambassador, then below that Fullerton, CA on the Bell - it is brass and has the mouthpiece with it, has the C shaped pinkie ring as well, the valves move freely, one very minor dent on the neck by the valves...... IMG_0914.jpg