Value of my horns

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Mar 20, 2017.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    New Zealand
    What would be the value of each of these horns below? (I want to get a good estimate or value in my head so in the future, I know that I am being fair)

IMG_1397.jpg
    Roy Benson 'Professional Rose-brass' Flugelhorn (Apparently a clone of a Yamaha and a flugelhorn player says that they play both the same but the Roy Benson is a much better value version of it, I have played it twice and it is in good condition. Bottom sprung valves in great condition, slides all free and trigger is operational. Bought for 500 US dollars four years ago.
    IMG_1395.jpg
    Some old Graslitz Rotary cornet (Playable with a Ritter gig bag and a 1 1/2C cornet mouthpiece) Only 1st slide stuck, no issues. Bought in unplayable condition three years ago for 250 US dollars
    IMG_1399.jpg
    Jinbao Rotary valve cornet (I never play it and is in good condition) All rotary valves lightning fast, good intonation and all slides free.
    Bought new three years ago for 280 US dollars.

I think it is time I let these go, they just never get played and I feel sorry for it. Plus, due to the fact our house is pretty small, storage is hard.

2. OldSchoolEuph

OldSchoolEuph Mezzo Piano User

Apr 1, 2011
    Michigan
    Well, you know there are more than a couple collectors out there with a few hundred horns, and I know one with 1200, so you are not doing too bad yet. . . . .

I think you know how this works. You go to EBay, build search strings that bring up similar horns to what you have, and then check the "sold listings" box to see what the market has been doing for the last 3 months. This is actually an excellent time to do this, because the window will catch both the January dip and the current, much more aggressive, market values.

The price you paid for the flugel is about the current market price new, and used pricing for the brand in general looks pretty depressing. If it works for you, the size of the resale loss may make it worth hanging onto.

The Graslitz cornet is interesting from a collector point of view. It looks like it would be from further North. Rotaries like that are all over the place - its a matter of finding the right buyer and you can break even - if you could document its unique construction, then the price could go up.

Jinbao. hmmmm. yeah, another case of unlikely to sell for half of new price. (in my opinion)

3. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Not to worry BBM! I too bought a few to many horns of little value. Mainly I bought what I bought because of the price points. I still struggle with the urge to buy horns that would probably not be up to par! Best thing to do is give them away to the local elementary schools. A recent want/need for a pro model SC cornet led me to a beautiful Berkeley Winds "pro" cornet! Thankfully I completely researched the brand and I'm not going to make that mistake. All of what you have pictured probably ain't worth much second hand-you bought them at their value price

4. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Mountain West, USA
    Probably next to nothing...

Vivek Patel likes this.
  5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I guess it depends on why you want to sell them and how long you are willing to wait to get top dollar. That flugel is basically the same thing as the ACB Doubler, and it's the kind of horn that's not going to have much resale value - you could probably get $300 USD for it, but I wouldn't plan on getting much more. Even if I get another flugel, I'll probably either hang on to it as a backup, or I'll sell it to some aspiring HS kid who wants/needs one. I'm curious why you want to sell it. You bought it 4 years ago and have only played it twice? Why is that? Do you have another, better flugel?

6. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    None of them are worth more than $200. And probably quite a bit less. Sorry.

7. Bflatman

Bflatman Mezzo Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    I meant to speak on this topic before but I always thought it would sound like I am lecturing but I just want to suggest a strategy that could make sense of collecting.

I think you have a good and varied collection but many of the instruments are pretty low value in themselves. I believe that a group of almost worthless instruments become valuable as a group if they say something about the instruments or the maker and then they represent a collective historical interest. For example, A group of various Heckel rotaries that show a timeline of development is of historical value because it is a group showing a piece of history with a beginning a middle and an end. It tells a developmental story.

What I am saying is, if you can collectively group your instruments into common makers or an important instrument development or point in time maybe by country of origin, then you might have a collection of historic interest that becomes more valuable in its own right.

Then you could dispose of those instruments that dont fit the collection, and you might find that you need an extra instrument or two to complete what then becomes a significant collection.

8. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Two things to keep in mind, what an instrument is worth is what someone is prepared to pay and shipping from New Zealand to the rest of the world can be a good proportion of the price paid.

I will not buy an instrument where the shipping cost exceeds 20% of the total price. $50-100 from USA to Australia.

Regards, Stuart.

9. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I think it is just a learning curve - you need to try these instruments to have an opinion on them. As your skills develop then the inadequacies of an instrument become more apparent. So then you no longer want to play them, and have moved on in your appreciation for the sound you are creating.

This is normal, but New Zealand will be a difficult place to move these instruments. Maybe try to advertise them locally, through some Music stores in NZ, or even at school. Whenever you play them, talk about the things that make them special, not the inadequacies. Then someone else in the learning curve may want to pick them up. I don't think that this is the forum to move them.

BTW - for BBM I think it has not been a waste, this is part of your own self development. Your experiences are yours, and so your opinion becomes more valuable. - at a cost.

10. Jazznut

Jazznut New Friend

Saturday
    Twentynine Palms, CA