Valve alignment recommendation - California?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by jgotteach, Jul 9, 2011.

1. jgotteach

jgotteach New Friend

Mar 27, 2010
    My son's trumpet teacher has suggested that he get a valve alignment on his Bach Stradivarius from Bob Reeves in Southern CA. It sounds like he is one of the best, but I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for the SF Bay Area, or if it is worth the time/expense of shipping the trumpet. My next question is the best method (UPS/Fed Ex/USPS) to ship the trumpet, but I should probably ask that on another thread.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I have heard nothing but great things about Bob Reeves. Any of the shippers mentioned should be fine. Most important is do not send it in the case. Bubble wrap all tubing and the bell, then plenty of Styrofoam peanuts in a box.

3. simso

simso Pianissimo User

Jul 1, 2009
    Australia, Perth
    How badly out of an alignement are we talking about here

4. ottoa57

ottoa57 Pianissimo User

Feb 15, 2010
    Macomb, Mi
    I have 2 trpts aligned by Bob...money very well spent...and when you need new pads 4-5 years down the line...its 15.00 and your alignment is right back where it was. Highly Recommended.

5. jgotteach

jgotteach New Friend

Mar 27, 2010
    I'm not sure how badly out of alignment the valves are, but my son's teacher (a professional performer) recommended this service. I think his teacher played my son's trumpet as a part of his assessment.

It's good to hear the endorsements for Bob Reeves, whom I've heard is one of the best. If it were a local business, we'd drop it off without hesitation. Because shipping involves both time without the trumpet and additional cost, however, I thought I'd ask to see if there was a comparable store in the SF/Bay Area before making an appt. and sending the trumpet down south.

I appreciate all of your help!

6. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    I'd recommend calling Bob and setting up an appointment for the alignment. If you do that, you can minimize how have to go without the horn.

Bob is a true master. He's one of the best out there.

Here's a good site showing how to pack a horn:

http://doctorvalve.com/Shipping.html

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  7. simso

simso Pianissimo User

Jul 1, 2009
    Australia, Perth
    It may be terminologies... When the Op talked about valve alignement and shipping it off, I was under the assumption we were talking about the repositioning of the piston chambers in relation to each other. But your response talks about a 15 dollar re-alignement afterwards...Are we talking about simple regulation of the piston itself. If so any trumpet repairer can do this, its not difficult.

8. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    We are talking about aligning the ports in each piston with the ports in each valve casing. Yes, most shops can do it.

Bob Reeves, however, has some kind of patented method of alignment that is supposed to be superior than those other shops. Some people swear by his method, some people think his method is no different or better than anyone else's, some people say they honestly can't tell the difference. ...And even some say the whole valve alignment thing is over-rated altogether.

When Bob Reeves performs an alignment, he doesn't use cork/felt, but instead uses a rubber type material, that holds its dimensions far better than cork/felt. He also keeps the specifications for each horn he works on, on file, so, say five years down the line, you can send him your horn, and using those specs, he is able to quickly return the horn to its original specs.

:dontknow:

9. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I don't think there's anyone who's close to Bob Reeves in terms of valve alignments (in the bay area).
    Plenty of good techs, just not ones who do PVAs

10. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Are the valves out of alignment axially (up and down), or radially (around)?

You may find my blog from April 2010 "WHat is a Valve Alignment" helpful:
    ivan?s blog

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011