Valve alignment recommendation - California?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by jgotteach, Jul 9, 2011.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The horn I demoed had been ordered by a guy who knew his stuff. He refused to buy it. The retailer knew of the problem yet kept the horn on the floor. It finally sold to an unsuspecting player. Other than cleaning supplies, I don't deal with this place anymore.

2. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

I enjoyed your blog very much Ivan. That is a pretty bad looking valve alignment in that picture. It looks like turning it could help a little but not enough to be worth the $. Then again, I haven't seen the other ports.

The Original Bore Correction removes crimped spots at the solder joints and other spots in the horn. One can't bore correct the ports on the inside of a piston. I am sure that you know that those indents are tubes but others might not realize that.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I was wondering about that Ivan .. it's easy to pop the second valve and see if it's centered when it is depressed but like you said what about when it isn't depressed. I am no engineer but I have wondered if they actual do some percieved misalignment to help with tuning or slotting. It's probably a whole lot cheaper to change the valve throw then remake 10,000 third valve slides that were out of spec. :-(

4. simso

simso Pianissimo User

Jul 1, 2009
    Australia, Perth
    Is it just me or is it this website, I cannot upload photos, I was going to upload some photos of pre and post alignment and the process we use to get there.

Not only can you modify the pistons position in relation to the chamber axially and radially, you can also port and polish the piston, so that way you can improve the best fit option.

5. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

You can't upload pics, but you link to them if they are hosted elsewhere

6. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Double post

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  7. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Valve Alignment

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Thanks, I had read that before. This valve though was just not a thick felt issue. I could hardly play below Eb on this horn. A friend of mine also demoed the horn and he encountered the same issue.

9. jgotteach

jgotteach New Friend

Mar 27, 2010
    I just wanted to give an update on my son's Bach trumpet alignment. We had Bob Reeves in Valencia, CA do the valve alignment, and my son is thrilled with the results. He said that it is much easier to play, particularly in the upper register, and he says his pitch is better as well. We were able to send the trumpet down with a relative from Southern California who was passing through town, and Bob Reeves was able to work on the trumpet immediately, and ship it back the next day. It only took two days with UPS ground. (I called for an appt. and was fortunate that they weren't busy.)

Thanks so much to everyone for all of the helpful advice!