Valve Alignment?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PSH, Jun 29, 2007.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Shermy,
    custom valve guides trimmed to fit and eventually grinding the ports to the right size and position are what is required for lateral adjustment. That is why that this is work for a pro!

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    :whistle:

3. bachstrad72

bachstrad72 Pianissimo User

May 9, 2007
    Philly
    I think Reeves does horizontal and vertical alignments. Also, doesn't Sonare have some sort of system that controls alignment? I really am trying to figure out how to swing the bread for an 800S.

4. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2003
    Yes - Reeves does both horz. and vertical alignments.

1. $ 175 vertical - just shims involved to (+/-) .001 "
    2. $ 175 horz. - unsoldering valve spring bodies, realigning and then resolder to somewhere maybe near (+/-) .001"

Now here is the problem - You are still probably stuck with (+/-) .015" of side to side rotational slop because of the valve guide clearance with the valve spring body. So to do the job (Properly) you are going to need to have custom valve guides cut to match the valve spring body slot. Now you are talking some real money depending on the brand of horn you have. If it's a Bach, Yammy or Schilke - maybe there is an aftermarket supplier. If not - there is gonna be some custom machining involved. Not cheap.

So to do it (RIGHT) you are probably looking at $ 500 total easily including shipping and labor. Not a whole lot of people are gonna be psyched up about dropping that kind of coin so they usually just half ass it and get the vertical alignment done as it's way, way easier.

Seth Moore

5. Shermy

Shermy Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2005
    Thanks All,

I suspected as much. I just couldn't find that stated anywhere in any of the links posted above.

If you were to get custom valve guides that got rid of a lot of the slop, wouldn't you then run the risk of having your valves jam up due to the closer tolerences in the groove of the valve spring body?

6. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I've read a lot of comments about the benefits of valve alignment, and I'm not doubting you guys. I have no personal experience with precision valve alignment. I align mine by sight with a mirror every once in a while, and admittedly that won't be anywhere near as precise as they get with their specialized tools. But I think Shermy brings up an interesting point. I don't know about you, but all of my horns have a certain amount of rotational play in the valves because the guides can't be precisely the same size as the slots without restricting movement. They say that errors in alignment in the thousandths makes a difference. But my valves rotate WAY more than a couple of thousandths. How can they make it maintain rotational alignment without restricting valve movement?

Mike