valve alignment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hubnub, May 17, 2008.

1. hubnub

hubnub Piano User

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Anyone have a valve alignment done at either Dr. Valve or Reeves? Is one company better than the other (I know Reeves has set the standard so to speak) and how was the turnaround time?

Peace!

2. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I have had several horns alligned by Bob Reeves over the years, and have been exceptionally happy with them. They have all played much better in tune, with so much less effort on my part, and the cost really is minimal when you consider how long it lasts! Turnaround is great because you make an appointment, ship your horn to make sure it's there by appointment time, they do th horn that day and ship it right back out. If you don't mind paying for overnight shipping, you have your horn back fast, and are without it for a small amount of time. I usually send mine when I know I'm going to have to use my Navy horn for a while, and then I can send them for the cheapest shipping.

3. chris_tpt

chris_tpt New Friend

Apr 16, 2008
    Queens, NY
    ^ I'll second that. Reeves does an excellent job. It's like playing a new instrument when you get it back. Much more in tune and plays easier, like flugelgirl said.

I live in New York and other players recommend local people who do valve alignments here, but I think I'll stick with Reeves. In fact, I've got a Bach 25 cornet I want to send out soon...

4. hubnub

hubnub Piano User

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks for the feed back. I've heard of all these cats doing valve jobs and I wanted to sort it out. I've had a friend send his over the Reeves and he raves about it! He has an old Besson Bravette, and he mentioned how different (in a good way) it played. I think my mind is made up!

5. 65Strad

65Strad Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2005
    Toms River, New Jersey
    I've had alignments by Reeves and another alignment guru now in NY. They both are great...but if I send my Bach Chicago C out for an alignment, where will it go?

Bob Reeves in Valencia California. I'm having my Bb 3C mouthpiece cut for sleeves at Bob Reeves right now and expect it back by the end of the week.

6. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I had my Bach Bb and C done by Reeves. I was at the shop, so I played my horns and then played them again about an hour later after being worked on and the difference was pretty noticable (in a good way). The horns both felt more even from top to bottom and the intonation was better. After getting home and playing in my normal situations, I noticed that I got more sound with less effort, which was nice. I didn't have to work as hard for the same volume or intensity as before. Another plus is that the pads they put in won't compress over time as much as normal felts, so the allignment will stay the same indefinitely and the horn won't gradually change over time.

7. Ray Vega

Ray Vega Pianissimo User

I've had 7 horns aligned by Reeves (first one was a Getzen Eterna back in '88). The horns always played better then they ever did before the alignments. I've had 7 horns worked on by Reeves.

8. mcstock

mcstock New Friend

Aug 15, 2005
    Norman OK
    I've had 3 or 4 horns worked on my Reeves. Always happy with the results. I've had one horn that was aligned by another shop and then by Reeves. When Reeves sent it back the shop card showed that it had been more out of whack than the horns that had never been worked on.

Matt

9. Johntpt

Johntpt Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Toluca, Mexico
    Charlie Melk does great alignments for about half the price of Reeves. He's lined up about 10 of my horns, all of which play better after the alignment.

JU

10. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Had Charlie align my C when he restored it. Never had a chance to play it prior.

Wow. Big price difference between the two folks: $75 versus $175. All but $200 if one goes for the acid bathing with Reeves.

Timely thread. Summer here. Band out of session. Might be time for an alignment on the Bb.