valve alignment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jim miller, Dec 12, 2008.

1. jim miller

jim miller Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2008
    California
    Is there any value in sending your horn to have the valves professionally aligned & set??? I know of some that have had this done, but have not heard much conversation about this procedure. I'm wondering if is really neccesary and valuable. thanks jim

2. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan

I don't really know much about this either, but I've heard to take out the valves and roll them on the table. If they appear to be wiggling while they are rolled around in a circle, they are bent. This is probably the most basic way of checking them.

3. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Despite the last post, many have found value in getting the valves professionally alingned, which makes sure the correct springs, felts, corks, are in place so each valve is exactly lined up with the applicable slide ports to have a free, open sound in all note combinations. If there is some damage to the pistons, etc. that can be taken care of. Fairly expensive, maybe $75-$100 each. I had gotten together a whole bunch of repairers for a post, but can't recall exactly which one now. Charlie Melk, Dr Valve are a couple.

4. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
  5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Remember to thoroughly clean the pistons after you roll them since they will pick up any little pieces of dirt that are on the table.

I think you would notice a piston dragging before it showed any sign of wobble on a table.

6. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    An alignment is a very valuable tool! When a horn is properly aligned, it plays more in tune, which means less effort on intonation for you! Older horns need an alignment about every 10 years (depending on who did the work) just from breakdown of pad material. Even new horns can benefit, though - if it's an assembly line horn, it's usually not as perfect as it could be. It's always worth having an experienced tech make sure your horn is in optimal playing condition - it just means that valuable time you spend in the practice room is spent improving your playing, rather than fighting your horn. Bob Reeves does my horns - I have been extremely happy with them!

Bob Reeves Brass Mouthpieces - Maker of fine trumpet mouthpieces, flugel, piccolo trumpet and cornet mouthpieces for over 40 years.

7. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Be careful where you get it done ask others who had the work there, a friend of mine had his valves aligned and to sell the trumpet, it never played the same, very stuffy, of course I`ve also heard good things from players who had it done by someone else, so ask around first.