Valve Alignment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Mar 7, 2011.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I "would" :)roll:), but there aren't any in this town (wonder why:dontknow::roll::lol:)!

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Rough town?

T

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Capitol of the confederacy (some still "fightin'"):lol:. It is viewed as a "northern" type of music and elitist. Go figure! There are more Tejano stations than jazz OR clasical in this town.

4. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    When I sent my last horn to be aligned, I didn't note any difference in sound. What I did notice was that it was easier to play because I didn't have to make so many adjustments to play in tune! If you feel like you're working harder than you need to, get it aligned - if not, leave it alone.

5. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I know what you're talking about! I played a gig in Franklin, VA, and a bunch of re-enactors were there. They talked about the Civil War like it was happening now, and were VERY serious about it! I was really hoping that they wouldn't find out I was origionally from Maine.....:shhh:

6. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    With a new trim kit you sometimes have to give it time to work in also.. It might set in over some time

7. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Great observation, tobylou8 (no, I'm not getting soft :-?). I tried the method of playing an open G, then depressing each valve until I heard a notable difference. The result is that I added one felt on each valve stem to shorten the stroke of the valves, making the valves slightly faster with no change to sound or range. In reference to Robin's earlier comment, I am simply not so good a trumpet player to know the difference whether my valve alignment is perfect of not, so there will be no PVA in my future!

8. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Interesting...classical and jazz readily available in my parts, but rock and country* (kawntry) still more prevalent. Either beats thet heck out of "mix" stations, with 80's music, disco, Michael Bolton and Kenny G around the clock!! :thumbdown:

*(Well, we have to have something for the Bama [Bammer] fans and the NASCAR [glorified go-cart] fans. :-P)

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    First, I wouldn't know a Yamaha 2335 from 1,000s of others, and I've never seen a Harrelson trim kit or a Harrelson instrument, but from what the OP describes I'll lay odds that visually his second valve will now be higher than with the original caps and buttons. Pull out the micrometers and measure the thickness of the Harrelson cap and the shoulder of the button in comparison to the original Yamaha. Simply the valves will not now fully depress with the Harrelson caps and buttons ... and no change in felts is going to help. Of course, I may be wrong as I often am. Well, any micrometer nerd will tell you you'll need a special caliper micrometer to take these measurements and seemingly these are as rare as a Hairy Mammoth's tusk. I now regret having sold my Grandfather's.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    First, I wouldn't know a Yamaha 2335 from 1,000s of others, and I've never seen a Harrelson trim kit or a Harrelson instrument, but from what the OP describes I'll lay odds that visually his second valve will now be higher than with the original caps and buttons. Pull out the micrometers and measure the thickness of the Harrelson cap and the shoulder of the button in comparison to the original Yamaha. Simply the valves will not now fully depress with the Harrelson caps and buttons ... and no change in felts is going to help. Of course, I may be wrong as I often am. Well, any micrometer nerd will tell you you'll need a special caliper micrometer to take these measurements and seemingly these are as rare as a Hairy Mammoth's tusk. I now regret having sold my Grandfather's.