Valve Alignment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Mar 7, 2011.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Thank ya, thank ya very much! Thats a good idea. Gonna pour down rain all day Thursday so maybe I can tinker with "the collection".:thumbsup:

2. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    You are absolutely correct! With the second valve slide removed so I can do a visual inspection, and the piston fully depressed, the travel is shortened just a tad. With the factory caps / buttons installed, the travel is spot on perfect.

This is strange as this kit was custom made for this horn. But oddly enough, the trumpet still plays just fine. Go figure...

3. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Unless you've removed the down-stroke pad and are hearing the clang of metal-on-metal contact, you're just seeing the effect of a pad that's slightly too thick.

What are the pads made from? It they're felt they'll compress with use and the alignment should improve.

4. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    The pads are made from rubber, just like on a Getzen.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany

I still have the Dynaco/Hafler quadrasonic sound demo LP (and a PAS-3 collecting dust). Differences surely exist just like treatment od disease with placebos bring real results. The travel downward is controlled by the rubber washer. A razor blade can make it a bit thinner allowing the valve to be pushed a bit further down.

The reason that there probably is not much difference, is that the trumpet sound is a standing wave in the instrument and not dependent on perfect airflow as the resonant frequency for objects with irregular shapes is based on volume not the smoothness of the tubing walls.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Trumpet Dreamer, I slept on your problem and now think I have a way you may resolve it, or have Harrelson resolve it for you. Such is to trim down the bottom of the button and the top of the cap, The latter only that as rises around the stem. When such is completed, it may be necessary to refinish (plating???). Such will compensate for the added thickness that Harrelson caps and button shoulders has as is more than the Yamaha. The second option is a slightly longer stem, but this would make your fingering stroke longer, thus I wouldn't favor it.

7. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    This is a good idea. I re-installed the original Yamaha buttons leaving the Harrelson caps in place and guess what? The valves are once again properly aligned!

The problem lies in the Harrelson finger buttons.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Sounds absolutely reasonable. Too, it could be that the Harrelson buttons were not tap threaded deep enough to fully accept the Yamaha stem. Is there something so spectacular about the Harrelson buttons? The inlay perhaps being something fancy? Is the Harrelson button common to their own instruments as well as others?

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Rubber? I don't think so. Maybe neoprene or silicone ... I prefer the latter as I now have had replacing the cork on my old Conn Coprion Director trumpet water key. Real rubber with sulphur content is an anathma to silver plate causing staining ... even a loose rubber band in a case.

10. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    The stroke will not be longer than originally made by Yamaha if the ports line up.

The best solution is to contact Jason - he's a nice guy, I am sure he will look after you.

This thread could have been about the nice way you were treated by Harrelsons when you brought this issue to their attention.