Valve body technical question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by flacoman, Jan 10, 2012.

1. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Claims to give an extra tone in range without extra effort, nowhere an indication of cost, If I have to ask the cost I probably cannot afford it. An interesting horn.

Regards, Stuart.

2. Bogieboy

Bogieboy Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2011
    Haha yeah... I have a feeling that its probably a $3-4000 horn... Which kinda makes me want to try my hand at making a bell like that myself... I do have some extensive training in laying out fiberglass, its essentially the same process.....the crook would be the only real trial....how to make a tube, bend it around, and still keep its shape.... Gotta think about that a bit....

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Don't all brands claim this? The site says it adds one note to the high range. I say major BS. It can be very good, but just because it has a precisely formed carbon fiber bell does not give it magical powers.

That being said, they are about 4 hours away from me and I will make a point out of visiting them or seeing them at the Music Messe in Frankfurt this year!

4. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Kudos for all the fine, original thinking in this thread. Truly a breath of fresh air!

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you look through the web site, you see that they use calibrated forms and injection molding to make the bell. That is not the same as laying up fiberglass.

As far as the price goes, Walter Spiri quotes on his 2011 website:

B-Trompete da carbo goldlack matt 2011 $5'364

Bells can be ordered for $1'840

Spiri Handmade Trumpets Swiss Quality

6. Bogieboy

Bogieboy Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2011
    Oh i know theres a difference, i just dont happen to have the million plus dollar setup to inject carbon... I would do it in mat form.... And i may look into basically doing just the bell and not the crook, that would be way easier...... As all i have are basic hand tools and the like for woodworking....now i just gotta find a donor trumpet to cut the bell off of and start laying fiber!

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Spiral twist overlay to make tube, pack tightly with fine sand, bend around inner curve jig, apply bonding to exterior, and pressure flush sand.