Valve Caps

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet520, Nov 13, 2006.

1. trumpet520

trumpet520 Pianissimo User

Oct 25, 2006
    Oklahoma
    What do heavier valve caps do in comparison to lighter valve caps.

2. Deecy

Deecy Pianissimo User

Aug 8, 2005
    NYC
    They're supposed to darken the sound. I never believed that the valve caps could affect the sound until one day I placed a dime (10-cent piece) into the third valve cap. It made a significant difference in the immediacy of response and made the sound edgy.
    So I placed one under the second valve cap. It added still a little more bite to the tone, so I've left it.
    I think I now have 2 dimes under the third and one under the second.
    First valve trials? --> Nada.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    They can make a horn slot slightly better, and can deaden the sound and response slightly, but the biggest difference is that your wallet is lighter, and won't respond as well as it did.:D

4. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    There's no "better" or "worse". The point is to fine tune the player/mouthpiece/trumpet system to match the player's personal preference. Adding mass, particularly at the third valve, stiffens slotting, while lowering mass makes slotting more slippery. There's some impact on tonal focus, but most of the difference is in response to the player's inputs.

Try them. Three is usually too many. I use one on the third casing of my Concept TT, but none on my other trumpets. The investment is small relative to the whole "system."

Dave

5. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    The heavy caps that came with my Eclipse seem to make the slots a little "looser". I don't like the feel with my 3B playing legit stuff & jazz. When I put my Allen Vizzutti mp in and play lead, I really like the looser slots because the horn is too tight with that mouthpiece. Just my perception.

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Funny with the 4 previous posts that there's no concensus on the effect these things have. Loose slotting, tight slotting, bright tone, dull tone, etc. Are they that horn/mouthpiece/player specific, or are the changes mainly just in the perception (mind) of the player?

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    My heavy caps make my MS slot tighter, with a looser feel.

They also darken the bright high notes while really brightening up the lower register!

-cw-

8. frank

frank Piano User

May 28, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Interesting phenomenon: If I put the heavy valve caps of my flugel on my MR it makes the sound reaallly dark! What do you think, Chuck?:dontknow:

9. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Good question Frank!

Let's experiment even more....

Put the LIGHTWEIGHT caps from your MR on your flugelhorn....

It might make it sound like a trumpet....maybe a ZeuS!

It's worth a try!

-cw-

10. frank

frank Piano User

May 28, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Hmm, didn't consider this option... I'll give it a try and report back! Thanks!