Valve Caps

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet520, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    One more experiment...

Take the valves out of your MR and put the heavy caps on the top of the valve casings.

Maybe it will sound like a posthorn!

-cw-

2. frank

frank Piano User

May 28, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    But should I insert the valves from below, then? :dontknow:

3. Solar Bell

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    No, no...

The standard caps stay on the bottom and the heavy caps go on the top.

Then you can play the little holes like an Eclipse natural trumpet!

-cw-

4. frank

frank Piano User

May 28, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Wow, so many option! Amazing! Better don't tell Leigh or the price will go up!:-)

Not to forget the version where you put the light ones on top and the heavies below! And then you can start mixing them!!!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I've found just the opposite to be true. They make my trumpet slot looser, with a tighter feel. Maybe that's because I play a Bach.:D

To the original poster, you really just need to try them for yourself. If you like them, great. If not, sell them to someone else who wants to try them.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Heavy valve caps on horns that were not designed "heavy" only succeed in unbalancing an otherwise balanced system. Whoever designed the horn had something in mind. Assuming that they wouldn't have used heavier caps for that specific design if it would have been better makes no sense.
    I have tried them out and can say every horn reacts differently, every horn that I have tried these on does not play as consistent throughout the various registers as without them. I see a difference but no real improvement. For people convinced that the slotting is better, record your sound in a big room with and without - see what has happened to the evenness of tone color in the upper and lower register (the same applies to heavy mouthpieces). If the tradeoff is worth it, go for it! The trumpet is a complex set of variables and nothing comes for free. Fortunately, this modification can be undone without damage to the instrument!

7. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    What does it mean to "Slot"?

8. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    What horn is an MR?

9. Solar Bell

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    This is an MR, it is in fact Frank's MR...
    [​IMG]
    The MR means a Medium Red Eclipse trumpet.

I play an Eclipse MS, which is a Medium Solar bell trumpet with no bead on the bell rim.

-cw-

Last edited: Nov 16, 2006
  10. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    The "system" is not complete until you add the player and the mpc. The maker typically cannot know what configuration the final system will actually take; therefore, different mass caps can change the system both favorably and unfavorably. The optimal mass for one player will often not be optimal for other players. Personal preference in slotting is just that, personal preference. Just as there are thousands of mouthpieces to choose from, many possible combinations of mass allow multitudes of players to fine tune a particular model of trumpet to suit their personal needs.

I always suggest starting with only one weight on the third casing. If you prefer that to the stock setting, then try adding another weight and/or try moving the weight around. Typically, three weights is too much. I use one and none on my trumpets, depending on the trumpet, mpc and me.

Dave