Valve clicking

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dragon98987, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Dragon98987

Dragon98987 Pianissimo User

Apr 20, 2010
    Hi my first valve has been clicking and I don't know what the problem is. I have the top cap screwed on all the way so I know it's not that. In addition, I don't think it is the felts because the clicking occurs when the valve is coming back up and not when it is initially depressed. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    You sure it isn't due to the inner felt? It could be the spring or the valve guides too.

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Does the click happen at the end of travel, or during travel? If it's during travel it might be a valve spring loop is crossing over another on the way down, and springing back as it decompresses. If it's not that then I can imagine a few other things but they would depend on the kind of springs you have (top springs, bottom springs, enclosed ones...)

--bumblebee

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    IF you are feeling adventurous, you could VERY carefully disassemble the valve and clean/inspect it for damage to see what's going on. Just be sure to put it back EXACTLY the way you took it apart. Look to see if your felt is saturated with oil/moisture. If it has lost it's springiness, you valve will click. Think of the felt as a buffer in this instance that is totally compressed and doesn't provide buffer anymore. Hope that helps. It's a simple fix.:thumbsup:

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I was having that problem with an Olds Ambassador. Replacing the felts with neoprene pads fixed it.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Where do you get those and are all felts the same?:dontknow:

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Felts come in different thicknesses and colours. Pads come in different thicknesses and firmness ratings. You can get both at a repair shop.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Thanks!:thumbsup:

9. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Dont you have to be sure to get the right thickness in the pads so that you dont cause a valve alignment problem?

10. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    You can quick check that by simply removing the 2nd valve slide and looking at how the ports align in the up and down position. I had to double the thinnest pad the store had for each valve, so I had to get 6 of them total. On any decently constructed horn, I believe you can expect the 1st and 3rd valves to line up with the same thickness of pad if the 2nd lines up right.