Valve Compression

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Evergrey_rocks, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Evergrey_rocks

Evergrey_rocks Piano User

Aug 18, 2013
    Looking at getting a trumpet, but the 1st & 2nd valves "don't have good compression". What problems does that cause and how much should it cost to fix it if I were to buy that trumpet?

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    How do you know? A valve job makes a horn play like new given there are no other leaks/issues.... Cost is about $350.00 depending on where you go.....

3. Evergrey_rocks

Evergrey_rocks Piano User

Aug 18, 2013
    Seller is listing it for dirt cheap because the valves don't have "good compression"

4. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Hm.... How does HE know?

Anywho, the way to approach it is if you want the horn and feel that putting a valve job into it would be OK, go for it.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    If the valves need to be rebuilt, I wonder what else is wrong with the horn?

Mike

6. chef8489

chef8489 Piano User

Aug 8, 2011
    Asheville nc
    Just save your money and buy a 1055t in good condition.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It cuts in on your efficiency and you have to blow harder. When I got Tom Green to talk me into having the compression fixed on my Olds Recording I really didn't know what a difference it makes. That Olds now plays like it has a Rocket V-8. The extra cost Tom charged was $300 [but I believe he contracts his work out to Anderson]. The price was well worth it.

8. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Not sure why this is referred to as "compression". The valves either leak so much as to make the horn hard work to play or they don't. Pulling the slides out to see if they pop is not necessarily a gauge of valve wear - there could be wear in the slide tubes or just a plain old leak. I measure the leakage of every horn that comes in; it used to be quite tedious measuring valves and casings at 4 points to within a tenth of a thou, and this is still a surrogate test which measures something which causes leakage. I built a Magnehelic leak detector which gives a much more meaningful reading of actual leakage.

Be careful tossing around prices of work done some time in the past. Companies can, and do, raise prices and the poor tech gets the blame. Also, very often there is more remediation required than a straightforward hone cylinders and hone and plate pistons.

9. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa

Yeah, all that. Valve replates can be very effective repairs, but I would only buy a horn needing a refit if it was rare, hard to find in good condition, and I really wanted it. If it was a normal horn, I'd probably pass and keep looking.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    He won't tell us what it is! Hard to give good advice with such little info. Bundy? PASS!!!!!! Silver Flair???? Maybe. Martin Committee LB?? When can I pick it up???