Valve damage in torpedo bag

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by hhsTrumpet, Jul 9, 2014.

1. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    I am currently on a tour with my school band in Austria. I own a torpedo bag, I placed a hair band on my horn to prevent my slides from potentially falling out during transportation. Today, when I took out my horn, I noticed a small chip on the outside of my third valve casing, as well as light scratches over where I had placed the hair band. I pressed the third valve and it got stuck. I was able to get it to move with valve oil, though it was still sticky and slow. After a while it started making a scraping sound. I'm afraid that the chip may actually be a dent in the valve casing. However I do not know how I got it. My only possible explanation is that the glue (quite hard and pointy) that fuses the ends of the hair band was pushed into the casing when I slid the horn into the torpedo bag. So I have a few concerns here:
    1) I feel like I am damaging the valve every time I press the valve down, and I still have four concerts left.
    2) Should I have this repaired when I get back? If I were to get it repaired, would it ruin the compression? (They would probably have to sand the inside of the casing, right?) Is it better to leave it as is and have the valve scratch until it doesn't scratch?

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I suspect it's a coincidence. You accidentally smacked it on something and didn't notice.

If you can get your horn to a tech, that would probably be your best bet.

Tom

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    First things - use a rubber band to hold your slides in place.
    I also use a soft anti-tarnish bag with the horn when it goes into the torpedo bag.

Questions:
    1. Is the valve showing any signs of damage? Have you wiped it and inspected the valve?
    2. Is the valve still slow - then get another horn fr the 4 concerts.
    3. Of course get it to a Brass Tech as fast as you can and have it inspected. It needs to work first to be playable, get it playing as it should. If something is wrong, then just ploughing on can cause more damage IMO.

4. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    I for sure did not hit it against anything. Last time I played it was in a hotel room. I played for a few minutes and put it away. It was working the whole time.

5. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    In that case, you possibly blew some crud into the casing. Swab it out with acetone and clean the piston well.

Tom

6. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    There's no way that the hair band caused this. No way. It HAD to bump in to something. Was this in a Classic or Outlaw?

7. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I get horns in my shop all the time with damage but weren't hit. "I just took it out of the case and it was like that". Regardless of how it happened, I'd be confident it wasn't caused by a hair band and probably not by the case. Get it to a tech. Letting the valve continue to scratch about in the casing is much worse than getting it fixed.

8. Jolter

Jolter Piano User

Apr 1, 2009
    Sweden
    Plenty of good horn techs around if you're in Austria. If you pass Vienna, check into Votruba Musikhaus and have them inspect it.

I wish I was there now for the Schagerl Brass Festival...

9. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    Classic. And it was in my hotel room the whole time.

10. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    I don't think I can get it fixed while in Austria, and I don't have the option of getting another horn. What should I do?