Valve damage in torpedo bag

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by hhsTrumpet, Jul 9, 2014.

1. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    Also, does anyone know a good brass repair shop around the Bay Area, CA? I've had pretty bad luck with repair technicians so far.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Send a PM to barliman2001. He is a regular at TM, lives in Vienna and has as much background as anyone else here.

View Profile: barliman2001 - TrumpetMaster

I am 100% positive that he can sort you out. If there is a major ding in the valve casing, there will be a scratch where the valve moves across it. There are multiple possibilities to fix anything valve. They do not automatically mean less compression!

3. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    Why is my response more "classic" than Vet's or musicalmason's, both of whom basically said, "It's not the hair band. The horn got bumped." There is no way that a hair band puts enough tension on a horn to damage the valve casing. The two torpedo bags (an Outlaw and a Classic) that I have also provide enough "give" in the padding to preclude the theory that the pads forced the hair band tip into the valve casing and caused the damage.

When you took the horn out of its case and noticed the problem, were you in your hotel room? Or were you at your rehearsal / performance location, meaning that the horn had left the hotel room and could have been bumped during transportation? Or, was the horn ever in the hotel room when you weren't? Could a hotel staff member have entered the room and bumped something into the case? Is it POSSIBLE that the case was bumped without you knowing it? (HINT: yes, it's possible)

I seriously hope your horn hasn't suffered substantial damage, and that you get the issue resolved quickly.

4. gbshelbymi

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    And I asked which Torpedo case you have because they offer different levels of protection.

5. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    I didn't say your response was classic. I said I have a Classic torpedo bag.

6. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    You don't give us any room for suggestions...

Your trumpet is mysteriously damaged - well, as MusicalMason said, we see that all the time. The only useful information is that your trumpet is damaged.

Either get it repaired now, wait till you get home and meantime get another trumpet, or suffer playing yours and probably increase the damage.

7. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    Hornucopia in San Carlos. They're great.

8. gbshelbymi

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    Oops. My bad. This gets more interesting now. The likelihood of the valve casing being damaged from being bumped while in a Classic case is extremely low. The mystery deepens.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    My only comment is to keep anything rubber away from any silver plated instrument or accessory as otherwise suffer sulphur staining of the silver plate as cannot be polished away. Such included not even in the case. Every hair band I know of has the cheapest rubber band imbedded inside it's loose fabric surface. As I put these on our daughter's pony tails, I lost count of how many broke. Too, many had a inexpensive metal clip that bound the fabric and rubber band ends and more than once went "sling shotted" across the room.

Should I have a loose slide without mechanical constraint, when I put my instrument in its case, I tie it off to the valve casing with a 1/4" red ribbon that is long enough to dangle and be noticed.

10. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    After a 4 hour bus ride, the trumpet fixed itself. Thanks anyways.