valve guard for cornet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by zetka, Jun 6, 2011.

1. zetka

zetka New Friend

May 15, 2010
    Prague, heart of Europe
    Hello,
    does anybody solved a problem with valve guard for cornet? In my Boosey&Hawkes Imperial (shepperd crook type ) the offered universal valve guards (Bach, Reunion Blues) do not fit at all.
    I like to have a leather one, but it seems that it must be prepared custom due to the braces, which are placed on this cornet in the wrong places and different dimensions.
    I will be very happy to hear some info from somebody, who solved this problem too.
    Regards,
    Zetka,
    Prague.

2. supposeda3

supposeda3 Piano User

Jan 3, 2009
    Central PA
    Have you tried leatherspecialties.com? They can make custom guards if they dont stock the one you need.

3. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    a big + for leatherspecialties.

4. zetka

zetka New Friend

May 15, 2010
    Prague, heart of Europe
    I have tried to contact them maybe three times, but without any response, it seems that the contact form on their webpages is not working properly...:thumbdown:

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I too tried LS to no avail for my 900H. I solved my problem with a pair of $2.99 marching band gloves. you can get them in black also. The only thing you will have to endure is the lame Micheal Jackson jokes!

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Cut paper to fit what you want as pattern for craftsman to make in leather. Suggest interlay of Mylar (R)to prevent leaching of leather acids, and lining of plush. Also determine if you want lacing or Velcro (R). Craftsperson in your area should then be able to make one for you, if you cannot do so yourself.

7. zetka

zetka New Friend

May 15, 2010
    Prague, heart of Europe
    Yes, it seems to be the best solution, although the need of the interlay complicates it a little bit. On my trumpet guard, which is done from a thin leather and covering the hand touched pipes too, there are three layers (leather-plastic foil-and something like felt) the sewing slacks after years of using with a need to be resewed....
    Thanks for a idea .....

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yes, correct, there should be 3 layers. The outside is leather, the middle a plastic foil (as yours may indeed be Mylar(R) which doesn't tear or stretch and may be found in stationary stores as notebook sheet preservers, at least here in U.S.) and then a soft fabric, a wool felt would do for the inside, but I've used velveteen plush. If using Velcro(R) closure, your pattern must be extended about 1 inch ( 2 1/2 cm ) to allow for overlap and placement of the Velcro. A nylon thread would be more durable than a cotton thread, and still I'd double stitch. While Mylar(R) is common here in the U.S., I can't speak for your country. We find it in printed novelty balloons of the birthday type and on the more advanced technologies as support media for engineering drafting / drawings, especially so in cartographic drawings where coated I personally have etch / scribed it. 3M Company even markets adhesive tapes and sheets made of it. As a shield for our instruments, really all we need is the Mylar(R), perhaps a little thicker, but it just doesn't have the grip surface we desire.

9. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I ride motorcycles and I know that they make a clear plastic that self adheres to the tank or what ever to protect the finish. It peels off and leaves no residue, wonder if that would work on our horns.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    While I do know Mylar(R) tapes by 3M (800 series) leave less residue than those tapes of the stationary type, I'm considering that your motorcycle tank is enameled while our horns are lacquered or silverplated and just don't know the consequences. I've read that one player wrapped 3M postal packaging tape around his valves and other areas where his hand contacted and when this got crudy, he removed it and put on fresh. Did it leave a residue wasn't stated. I do know that the postal tape won't survive an instrument bath, but plain Mylar(R) sheeting will. In a 7.5 mil thickness you wouldn't even need eyelets for laces as you do with the leather guard.