valve guard for cornet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by zetka, Jun 6, 2011.

1. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    I was thinking more Mickey Mouse, tobylou...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Actually, I subscribe to the school of playing without a valve guard and wiping my horn down carefully after playing. The valve guard acts like a mute to some extent changing the sound of the horn.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    At least in theory anything that touches your horn in someway mutes it to some degree. That includes our hands, noting that the intensity of our grip varies with tempo, value of note, and pitch of note. I call it "blimping", a term I picked up from time spent with cine film cameras so that the mechanism operating sounds wouldn't be picked up by the audio tracks. I'm still of the opinion that lead solder is a major culprit in this regard with full knowledge that the more quality in an instrument, the better soldering that is accomplished.

4. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Thank you, jbkirby. I can't agree more and threw all of mine away years ago.

Zetka, I love your city. . .

Best,
    EC

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    A dampened wipe with a baking soda solution followed by dry microfiber cloth wipe might in long term help ... but I too went to wearing gloves to help, in fact just bought a super pair of white gloves just for that purpose, still mostly do the Louis Armstrong handkerchief in practice sessions. Note that Mickey Mouse's gloves were/are white.
    My new gloves have a wrist snap that seems similar to those worn by Prince William at his wedding. I had been using pall bearers' either hand disposable white cotton gloves that just seemed awkward, and worsened with washing.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I soak mine in coffee to get a more 'flesh coloured' finish (yes it's not quite my flesh colour bit I'm not wearing pink gloves) it seems to stop the comments because the gloves aren't so obvious. Just a thought.

I have tried wearing a balaclava to band performance - slipped it on in a rest during the piece, and when the Band Director turned around to finish the piece he nearly choked - he didn't say anything about my gloves though.

My next endeavour is the have the whole trumpet line in flouro beanies, flouro yellow for the blokes and flouro pink for the girls ('cause I know the sheilas will baulk at balaclavas). Bet he doesn't say anything about my gloves this weekend either - boy have I got him sussed out. :roll:

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I found that powdered instant tea creates a better antique effect than coffee.

I take it that "flouro" means fluorescent colours (Brit spelling of colors).

Awhile back, I thought of painting a trumpet with the safety reflective color of yellow 3M Codit(R) then turn the stage lights out and with black jersey shirt and black gloves and body shielded by black curtain have a spolight on just the trumpet, as then would seem to float about.

Here in U.S. we call the fluorescent color "pink" cerise.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Yes Ed - that's the stuff.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I do have a Pinto he can buy and the plastic doesn't seem to be affected by anything.;-)

10. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I have a friend who always uses a hankie and his Benge [that he purchased new in the mid-60s] looks almost new, no silver wear at all. with my last name I was Mickley Mouse all through jr. high and just plain mouse in high school. it was a lot better than most of the nick names guys gave each other.