Valve Guards

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crazytrmpetnerd9, Jul 7, 2007.

1. crazytrmpetnerd9

crazytrmpetnerd9 New Friend

Apr 15, 2007
    Northeast, U.S.
    I was wondering if anyone knew of any valve guards out there that don't cover the spot where you usually put your thumb(between the first and second valve on the right side)? Thanks!:-)

2. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    I think valve guards do more harm than good. They collect moisture and just make a mess of the silver. Your best bet is to wipe the horn down with a cloth after playing it.

3. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Hi,

I use a clean white handkerchief.

How's that for a high-tech valve-cover?
    :cool:
    Shades of Louis Armstrong, ay?

I wipe the instruments down with a "googalies" microfiber cloth after each playing.

Best wishes!

Lloyd

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  4. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    There is a company out of CA that does custom guards. It's a leather company and I can't seem to find the name right now but I will post it on here later. I used a few of their products in years past and they have been exceptional. However, now they just sit in my drawer. I prefer to do as those stated above, just wipe it down when you're done playing.

5. crazytrmpetnerd9

crazytrmpetnerd9 New Friend

Apr 15, 2007
    Northeast, U.S.
    Thank You for the input! Im reconsidering just doing with out it and wiping down the horn after! That not my biggest problem now though because I just got braces and Im trying to figure out a way to play! If you have any input on that, it would be great!!!

6. Shermy

Shermy Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2005
    Someone has mentioned to me that they use a product called ClearMask AR by 3M. It is used for protecting paint on high end automobiles. It comes in bulk and is a bit difficult to apply, but once it is on, it is invisible and doesn't trap all of the bad stuff that the traditional valve guards do.

I'm seriously looking into using this product on my new horns.

7. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Funny timing on this post.

When I ordered my new Schilke, in goldplate, I thought about their valve guard. I have never had a new horn like this before, so I really wanted to preserve the finish. For whatever reason, I have always used a little hanky also--ever since grade school, I believe--maybe it was a habit my Dad passed down--I really can't remember.

Anyway, I did get the Schilke guard (I assumed it would be THE perfect fit) and it arrived a few days ago. For the life of me, having read this OP, I couldn't believe anyone would want a piece of the guard cut out. Then I played the horn in a weekly rehearsal: I could not get used to my thumb being set out a quarter of an inch further away from the valve block!!!

I am now pretty sure I will return the guard to Schilke and simply go back to my hanky way....

8. MLanghardt

MLanghardt New Friend

Apr 7, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
  9. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I used to use a leather Bach on my Bach. When I took it off, prior to selling it, some nasty stuff on valve casings. I bought a rubberyfabric one from Tampa Dave that uses velcro some months ago and like it , so far.

10. acebone

acebone New Friend

Dec 26, 2006
    Copenhagen, Denamark
    My hand-sweat is for some reason VERY corrosive to the silver, so if I just wipe my horn after playing, I might miss a spot, and you can be sure that the silver will come off.

So I made one myself. I cut 2 rectangular pieces out of a dish-washing cloth (dunno what you call it, the thing you use to dry your dishes), and a similar rectangle out of a heavy-duty plastic waste bag.

Then sowed them together in a sandwhich and applied a string to the thing. Works great and was mucho cheapo !