valve guards

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dave Mickley, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I have been playing a great Blessing 1580 for about a year, since it is in raw brass I've been using a Leather Specialties valve guard. Tonight for our outdoor concert I took of the valve guard and the horn seemed to speak out easier and just come alive. I wonder if this was just my imagination or could removing the valve guard actually make a difference in the way the horn plays and/or sounds. I'm going to leave the valve guard for awhile and see if tonights finding holds true. Anyone else have a similar experience?

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Nope. I found the same thing, and there is less distruction of the finish by just wiping the horn clean after playing with a microfiber cloth then when I used my leather valve guard.

3. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Could it have to do with being outside??

4. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Also, keep in mind that leather is quite good at absorbing energy, just look at its uses throughout history. I have seen that som guards dampen the trumpet and make it seem less resonant. It isn't much but it's still there.

5. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    D.C. - I have played that trumpet many times outside and this is the first time that I have noticed how much more "alive" it played. I did notice that my left hand had a distinct "brassy" odor to it, even after washing my hands several times. maybe just a small price to pay.

6. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Yes, I threw away the valve guard. I use a hanky if needed for sweat. It works fine, Satchmo style!

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't like the valveguard either. I have an intimate relationship with my horn. The more contact, the better.

At the end of the day, only what is in YOUR way matters. The valveguard is not going to make or break a player.

8. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Absolutely.

The trumpet designer gets the horn playing great, then the player kills it with a valve guard.

9. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I use a valve guard and microfiber cloth. We performed in a stadium last night with artificial turf. I accidently dropped the cloth-picked it up to find 300 artificial grass fibers stuck to it. Spent the hour where diginitaries talked picking them off it. Finally got it clean. Then on one number the trumpet section had to stand up and play for 32 bars. It hit the ground again. Microfiber cloths are great, but you might want to pass them up on turf.

10. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Hankies work best! If they were good enough for Satchmo they are good enough for me! I don't like microfiber because dirt gets trapped in them and can scratch your trumpet.