valve guards

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dave Mickley, Jul 3, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sounds like what we got here is a turf battle.

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    You got all the dignitaries off of the cloth in just an hour?

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yeah, still working on the fibers. :)

4. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    when i purchase my Strad 37 may years ago - larry mynette (sale and repair guy) suggested using only pure cotton cloth without fire retardant. Buy it a cloth and sewing shop - cut to Louie Armstrong hanky size and it works great. Diaper cloth (cotton) also works well.

Relative to the guards - i agree with Rowuk - i like to feel the trumpet in my hands - hard on my clothes with all the valve oil and drips - but.. worth it.

5. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Now I go just the other way. Im perfectly happy with how all of my horns sound with the valve guard and a cloth to boot. I have been known to sweat and since I lost some weight this hasnt been a problem, but old habits are comfortable. Truth be told I havent actually ever touched the metal on my horns except for the mpc, pinky hook and spit valves. I use proper technique and only touch the valve buttons on the custom inserts, and the cloth also protects the first and third slide hooks. I dont have a guard on the Klashen but I dont think its a fair comparison to the more modern horns because its valves are shot and so is the finish for the most part, its just a doodler, and all of them sound great to me.

I understand all of the above reasoning given, but I love all of my horns with their clothes on. Its what works well for me. I have borrowed and play tested horns without guards and they feel thin and spindly in my hands and I dont believe I could tell the difference in the sound, its the valve casings, not the bell thats covered. With all due respect to the many distinguished players above, any difference must be minute. Sorry, I dont buy it. Best wishes.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
  7. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    A regular application of furniture polish will keep your horn protected for at least a month.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Now there's something you can hang your hat on.

9. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    I suppose so, if you need some place to hang your hat.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Who wears a hat when playing?