Valve guides: brass vs plastic

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Dec 21, 2012.

1. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    Does the material of valve guides alter the sound of a horn? Has anyone experimented with this?

2. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Yes, people have experimented with this and, unbelievably, there is still disagreement. You'd think trumpet players would... Oh yeah, I forgot who I was talking about.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    They can also distroy the finish on the horn if you use poor quality material. I had this happen with my Recording, and have not used a guard since after Tom Green refurbished that horn. A year later and the horn still sparkles. I just wipe it down with a microfiber rag after using it now.

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I had titanium valve guides from Wayne Tenabe on my Schilke B6, they really made the horn brighter.

5. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    GUIDE! GUIDE! Not guard. I hope you are not a surgeon with eyesight that bad. :)

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ooops Nevermind.

Gilda Radner Nevermind - YouTube

You're all safe, I give the scaple to my seeing eye dog.

7. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Uh, Dub missed this one???????:lol::dontknow::oops:

8. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Both work fine. Some have written that brass makes for noisier action, others that plastic may have wear and tear issues. I think I read somewhere that V. Bach switched to plastic in Strads due to noise concerns, but I believe the Artisans have brass. Two of my vintage horns have brass and and have no valve noise issues. All of my more recently built horns have plastic guides - no issues there either.
    Jim

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have both brass and plastic and as stated above, have no issues. The plastic is on both my Eternas and I've had no issues in 42+ years. Which material changes the sound and which way?

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I am assuming you are refering to your trumpets, in which case, I would agree. However, if you are refering to other life aspects...:dontknow: