Valve identifying help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PhilT, May 11, 2015.

1. PhilT

PhilT New Friend

Mar 10, 2013
    Need help to identify this valve its off an old York Trumpet believed to be about 1940 ish and possibly German made will post the whole Trumpet after it has had a few repairs but here is the valve, the type I have not seen before any info on it would be nice, thanks

[​IMG]

2. Wi113m

Wi113m Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2015
    Nuenen, Netherlands
    I have similar valves on my Connstellation Trumpet! Very odd but nice and durable valve. I think it's expensive to make in comparison with other modern valves and that could possibly be why they are not being used that much anymore. Some old valves are nickel-plated. This one too I guess. That's why my valves on the Connstellation are in tiptop shape.

3. PhilT

PhilT New Friend

Mar 10, 2013
    thanks for the info yes they seem to be in good shape the trumpet itself is a York but on the valve block its marked as foreign so maybe it was a german York I was going to ask oldlou who I had found here and online but to my shock I learned he had died, so sad to hear that, I will post the Trumpet pic later when its fixed up maybe someone can say where it was made I did not pay much for it.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    As you'll find in Wikipedia, the York Band Company of Grand Rapids, Michigan imported much of their instruments and components. The brand was sold to Boosey & Hawkes in 1976.

5. PhilT

PhilT New Friend

Mar 10, 2013
    Yes thanks Ed I have been reading up on York as oldlou had much posts on them and at the horncopia site this one has an odd serial 587414 looked it up on the massive serial list with descriptions and this one has the block YORK across the bell and nothing else and it has the "foreign" stamp on the bottom of the valve block nothing else, has the old long spit valve levers that work the other way to the more modern shorter levers. and the tuner slide threaded rod style adjustment. Its very interesting finding out about these old brass instruments and the evolved designs and styles Went in to the Royal college of Music London museum a few years back and they have some very old stuff in there!

6. PhilT

PhilT New Friend

Mar 10, 2013
    Also its funny how life is as the old stuff that has stamped "foreign" on it is a sort of Anglo Imperialist statement that means "inferior" but what constitutes foreign? do the Germans of Czechs stamp usa or English made trumpets "foreign" also? ahahaha! or maybe old french made trumpets have "Frog" stamped on them....just a thought.

7. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    When does the horn come back? Those photos will help tremendously - this looks like something Amati made for Musica Steyr and York, by extension, as York imported some Musicas that had Austria either on the leadpipe or valve section...it seems like this Conn-type design was the inspiration for similar types from Amati, Orsi, Schenkelaars, and maybe KHS...

8. PhilT

PhilT New Friend

Mar 10, 2013
    Hopefully get it back sometime next week how stupid I should have taken a full pic of it, never thought. Oh I never thought of Amati making it. and I do not know the other names you mentioned. will post as soon as i can

9. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Same valve as in my Amati Eb alto trumpet.

Regards, Stuart.

10. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    York had connection with the German Boehm-Meinl company, but I have seen a fair number from Amati. The other names were just makers that at some point made valves with the barrel-encased spring.