Valve identifying help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PhilT, May 11, 2015.

1. PhilT

PhilT New Friend

Mar 10, 2013
    Just browsing around and the nearest I can get to the York i have is this York 75 the only main difference is if you look at pic 6 the 2 braces are facing same way where as my 2 braces front and back which is a weird set up

Vintage YORK 75 Trumpet Serial# 202140 No Case | eBay

2. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
  3. ConnDirectorFan

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
  4. PhilT

PhilT New Friend

Mar 10, 2013
    Yep! 99% sure thats the same model looks like that has been restored.. and it was cheaper! I paid £75 for mine OR if it was not restored that is in very good nick! my serial was 587*** it is supposed to be 1940..hmm not sure if it was that old?

5. PhilT

PhilT New Friend

Mar 10, 2013
  6. PhilT

PhilT New Friend

Mar 10, 2013
    so these types of Horn are they a pro model or not?

7. ConnDirectorFan

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    No, I would bet money (almost) that it's an Amati serial (Musica Steyr is in the same sequence) - Amati never replies when I ask about their serials, but that number is probably from 1955-1975. Before 1955 it seems like Amati made instruments using older tooling, then they began adding new designs...

8. PhilT

PhilT New Friend

Mar 10, 2013
    its definitely the 2nd link Trumpet its identical only difference is the finish mine is brass lacquer with tuner slides in nickel but its that one for sure and all features are the same and the case is the same

9. PhilT

PhilT New Friend

Mar 10, 2013
    After a bit of a clean up here it is. no dings on it only a few very small ones underneath but mainly very neat of age. Just for the record tried to get off all the lacquer and the tuning slides came off in hot water the bell and main tubes were and still are "tough" tried baking powder in a VERY hot bathtub soaked it..nothing used acetone..nothing. saw in a hardware shop paint stripper varnish remover but thought that might be a bit too much..brasso.. I had a bit left in an old tin and it did work slightly so might buy another new tin and have another go sometime..but its slow going..I bought a "magic cloth" saw it on ebay and that had some effect on it after a while you think the lacquer is going or was that you are polishing the raw area?? when you are looking at something for too long your eyes start to play trips snow blind or was that brass blind..haha

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Well, that's something that touches world history. After WWI, the British insisted that all goods imported from Germany bore the mark "Made in Germany" to warn buyers off merchandise made by a former enemy country. Unfortunately, it transpired that the goods in question were usually of better quality than their British counterparts, so inadvertently, it became a mark of quality, and sales of goods so marked soared... Might happen similarly nowadays, eh?