Valve identifying help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PhilT, May 11, 2015.

1. PhilT

PhilT New Friend

Mar 10, 2013
    One thing I have noticed this York is a very nice tone BUT when I compare it to a 1965 Conn Director Cornet here the cornet is made 10 times better. The conn is real heavyweight and feels like a more expensive instrument made of better materials all round. not saying it is better but just feels like it. the york has a beautiful tone

2. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Looks nice! Yes, that is an Amati/Musica Steyr stencil.

3. PhilT

PhilT New Friend

Mar 10, 2013
    Yes it was looking a bit sorry for itself when i got it and it cleaned up nice took the original case out the back and steam cleaned it inside and out now it smells better inside I might not even use it as i have other cases but its not bad condition I am not a player but I find the old instruments very intersting, but my daughter plays she is taking this to practice tomorrow she how she gets on with it for jazz band stuff but she is really classical player like here in the orchestra https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fDF0cF92yQ

4. PhilT

PhilT New Friend

Mar 10, 2013
    clean up part 2, got all the lacquer off..I think. just for the database tried rustins paint and varnish remover..not much came off... brasso was mentioned here so tried that...bang.. came off easy, so here is my effort, first time to try this, just a few pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ConnDirectorFan likes this.
  5. PhilT

PhilT New Friend

Mar 10, 2013
    just to add can you accelerate in any way the patina build up?..apart from hanging it out of the window every night!

6. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Search "Patina on brass" in youtube, there is enough to keep you amused for hours.

Regards, Stuart.