valve issues

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DoreRJ15, Feb 2, 2011.

Tags:
  1. DoreRJ15

DoreRJ15 New Friend

Nov 17, 2010
    i have a Yamaha Xeno 8335RGS, its the special edition Bb.

bought the horn 4 years ago, been playing it ever since and i love it....but.

my valves feel "mushy", not quick responsively and seem to lag a lot even after a fresh application of oil.

what is causing this? i had the horn cleaned almost 2 years ago, springs replaced and still no change.

whats up with my horn?!

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    You have to clean the horn a minimum of every 6 months.

3. SteveRADavey

SteveRADavey Pianissimo User

May 25, 2010
    Austin, TX
    When you say you had the horn cleaned 2 years ago, do you mean that you sent it away to be ultrasonic or chem cleaned that one time, and in addition to that, you clean it on a semi-regular basis? If that's the case, then I wouldn't think that the general condition of the horn would be the problem.

How regularly do you oil the valves? The videos and conversation on this thread suggest that most people don't do it often enough.

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/brass-players-give-your-horn-bath-59214.html

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Oiling the valves and what kind of cleaning don't matter at all. If you don't clean your horn more than every 6 months, your valves will not work correctly. ESPECIALLY on Yamaha where the tolerances are tiny.

5. SteveRADavey

SteveRADavey Pianissimo User

May 25, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I said "...and in addition to that, you clean it on a semi-regular basis..." The reason I mentioned chem and ultrasonic cleaning was that the OP said "I had the horn cleaned..." rather than "I cleaned the horn", and I took this to imply that it was a professional service. I neither said nor implied that either of these methods would solve valve problems.

Also, of course oiling the valves matters; it's necessary. If you meant to say that oiling isn't sufficient, well that's another story.

- Steve-O

6. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Some oils will make a tight valve feel slow even if everything is perfect otherwise. My Lightweight 400 has recently had its valves rebuilt, and oils that are otherwise fine made the valves feel dirt slow.

I use Hetman #1, and I've heard the Yamaha light is similar. Scrub out your horn and try either of those and see if your valves might be faster.

And yes, you need to clean more often than every 2 years. Ideally once a month.

Tom

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I clean my own horns and have found that if I play a lot and don't clean often enough, little nasty string-like crud builds up in the valve block (no amount of cleaning the valves or oil will fix the sluggishness).It is really tiny and can best be seen when soaking the horn as it floats away in the water. You need to clean you horn more often. I can't speak to Yammies tolerances, but if your looking to a 2 year old cleaning as being enough, you need to think again about how often this most basic maintenance needs to be done. Hope this helps.

8. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Contrary to all appearances plus an air of devil-may-care jeau D'esprit I am anal retentive about cleaning my horns after I gig with them.

It all started years ago when I was doing nightclub chair 7-11p.m.
    Management would feed us before we went on. We would eat in the kitchen, full course, salad, fish or pasta plus as much wine and beer as we wanted. All free so long as we tipped the waitstaff. I don't have to tell you what it did to my valves after a few hours. Nightly disassembly and cleaning got to be habit and good habits, thank God, are hard to break. But then I've always treated my horns as I do my cars and shotguns. No amount of effort is good enough.

9. DoreRJ15

DoreRJ15 New Friend

Nov 17, 2010
    let me clarify i do clean my horn out every few months, but i get it ultrasonic cleaned every 2 years. on a bi-monthly basis i scrub all the slides, re grease them, and clean out my valves.

sorry for the confusion.

i have switched from blue juice to using Binak 495 since my college career started 3 years go. it seems to make a difference but only on the first few hours of playing with new oil

10. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    BiNaK is going to be slow in those valves. Try the Hetman or Yamaha as I mentioned above.

As for "first few hours", you ARE applying oil every day before you play, right? I learned the expensive hard way that not oiling every day means you spend $475 on a valve rebuild.

Tom