valve issues

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DoreRJ15, Feb 2, 2011.

Tags:
  1. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    I have a Xeno 8335G, and after reading a bunch of recommendations for Ultra-Pure I decided to give it a try. I wasn't happy with the result and switched to Yamaha oil, which is working well.

However, the Ultra-Pure is fine on my other horns. It only seems to be a problem with the Xeno ... not terrible, just not as good.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I often wonder about the descriprion "mushy". Often I think that it is similar to players looking for a "dark" sound.

If I think back, the quickest "feeling" valves were those that were slightly (or not so slightly) worn. The tightest valves (like on a new Schilke, Yamaha or Monette) never had that super light action until they were a couple of years old. On the other hand, no clean valve has ever been slower than my fingers so my playing never suffered.......

Trying various valve oils is cheap, even here, I haven't found the silver bullet yet. Again, they are all faster than I am..........

3. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    My Olds is old and it has a mushy feel to it. It never sticks. I think the springs are old, and one has been replaced, so they had an inconsistent feel to them.

I moved the 2nd valve spring to the third valve, since it was the weakest, and my middle finger was the strongest.

The valves move very smoothly almost no resistance, and they always spring back, never stick.

I have old cheap cornet with very strong springs, ironically this is the instrument that I have trouble with sticking.