Valve Issues

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LuckilyCarolyn, Feb 5, 2012.

1. LuckilyCarolyn

LuckilyCarolyn New Friend

May 4, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Well, it's been a very long time since I've posted here, but I figure if I want a million credible opinions on what to do, this is definitely the right place to go.

For a week and a half now my valves have been acting up. At first it wasn't entirely noticeable- just a little slower than I wanted, so I ended up oiling the valves a little more than I normally did, and going on with my merry way. The last two days have generally been valve-hell though (if there is such a thing, this is very likely it). My valves feel super tight, I feel more resistance than normal when playing, and they just aren't as fast as they normally are. It's kinda discouraging to be unable to practice things at a normal tempo- and really concerns me when I have my yearly scholarship audition this Friday (yikes???)
    To help you out if you have any ideas, I'm playing on a Yamaha Xeno, I use Al Cass Fast, and I've already tried scrubbing my valves out and re-oiling twice. My next plan of action is to try and find somewhere to soak it for an extended period of time, but living in a dorm room, that's difficult.

Any help would be appreciated,
    Carolyn

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Carolyn,

As long as you haven't done anything to dink or bend the valve casing, it should be an easy fix. You have started in the right direction. Cleaning them. Realize, you will also need to clean the valve casings (where the valves fit in the trumpet) as well. If you can find some type of a tub in which to put your trumpet (with valves and bottom caps removed), do so. Use warm (not hot water) and include something like Dawn dishwashing detergent. Scrub the valve casings with a brush if you have one, or with a cloth if not. Rinse the horn well. Also take the valves and put them in a cup or mug with similar-just DO NOT get the water too high to touch the cork or felts. Also use the brush or cloth to clean. Rince everything well, dry, and then oil and reassemble. Should be like new.

If you can't find a tub, then you and the horn way have to head to the shower together. Be careful, but clean well.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Careful - been there - done that.

DANGER: TUBING GETS FULL OF WATER AND THE TUNING SLIDES CAN FALL OUT ONTO THE TILED FLOOR - DINGS ARE LIKELY. BEEN THERE - DONE THAT.

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    How are the valve springs? The valve guides?

5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes, danger. I meant remove all and carry just the main part (with slides removed) into the shower. Definitely not the best scenario, but you do what you have to do.

6. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Hm. Interesting, just noticed the thing about cleaning. Well, just in case you didn't mean valve casing, clean em. And I'm with Cody, take it in to a shop, and have the springs checked out. I just received a trumpet with smooth, but slow valves -- just needs new springs.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And hence where the term dingbat was derived.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Cody, don't you think it would be highly unlikely that ALL three springs would go wrong at the same time? Could the horn have a terrible valve virus? Maybe Spring Fever? OK, Luckily Carolyn, please don't consider Cody's post as one of the million credible opinions.

[Still love you Cody, but this is where I take my knukles and give you a Fatherly nuggy]

codyb226 likes this.
  9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Before you read anymore tan gents (Ted does go out in the sun alot) I vote for SteveRicks recommendation which to me is the one in a million.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  10. LuckilyCarolyn

LuckilyCarolyn New Friend

May 4, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Well, I had it professionally cleaned and checked out in a shop about....2 and a half months ago. So I think we can rule out any major spring problems- And if I somehow managed to ding all 3 valves on the same day....Hoo boy. That would be impressively awful.

I think I might be able to get my horn to my dorm's communal kitchen today- and hopefully not have any angry neighbors sitting around waiting to wash dishes while I clean a trumpet-- if that fails, I'll be back.

On the prevention route- do you think my problem is my valve oil? I like Al Cass Fast because it does work really quickly- but I have noticed that even when my valves get dry, theres a bit of a residue left on them. Thoughts? Ideas?