Valve Issues

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LuckilyCarolyn, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Try Ultra Pure oil before and after playing. It is worth switching to check and know one way or the other. I have a couple of plastic bottles of Al Cass Fast as well, but use 100% Ultra Pure now.

Check You-tube for cleaning as well. Either Monette or Harrelson had a Vid on the cleaning, and using the brush and snake. Worth watching first, even just as a reminder. Good luck

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Good point! Sorry Carolyn, dont listen to me. I am with everyone else (except Mark ROFL) give it a shower.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh great! Let everybody in your dorm see your biofilm slim... we trumpet players have the stomach for this stuff, but for the rest of the poor naive coeds, be prepared for excessive emesis in the cafeteria tonight. And if your dorm mates have not sabotaged your valves to get you into the mess as a prank, one viewing of your valve slim... how many ways can you spell revenge?

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    in a simple answer --- YES!! -- I used Al Cass for all of my oiling needs for many decades ---then last year -- something changed, I don't know what. The Al Cass bottle that I purchased had very brittle tops (manufacturing change, change in bottles manufacturer, etc.) -- OK, not only did the bottle have that slight problem -- but I was finding that the oil was giving me problems with sticking and tight valves in my trumpet, and just plain wouldn't work in a Reynolds Medalist horn that I got on Ebay. The Medalist was apparently never used -- and the tolerances are very tight on the valves.

I switched to ZAJA oil (mainly because it has nice smells, and pretty colors -and it works) -- I do have to oil my valves more frequently with ZAJA -- but I use the orange smell, and it makes the horns smell nice anyhow.

that is my one in a million opinion on your oil!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree. The same thing happened to me. So after you clean out the horn, resuscitate your dorm roommates, and make it back alive to your dorm room, put on another valve oil. UltraPure comes to mind.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I too use Ultra Pure in all my trumpets and it works brilliantly, even on a Weril pocket trumpet that had sticky valves - make sure the FAST oil is completely removed first.

7. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Super Slick all the way. It works and it works good. How was your shower?

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Speaking of slime... did you really have to remove it in the shower? Living in a dorm does make life a bit more of a challenge.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  9. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Lots of good valve oil out there. We all have our favorites. Al Cass has never been on my list. In fact, my son carried my 12 oz bottle of Blue Juice to school and I'm holding off using the only other bottle here at home-Al Cass- until he brings the Blue Juice home Monday. Point being, most shops will only carry a couple of brands. Pick one other than Al Cassette.