Valve Issues

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LuckilyCarolyn, Feb 5, 2012.

1. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    '

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  2. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Ultra Pure is a GOOD choice. I would flush the valve casings in the sink using the sprayer and a little detergent ( rinse well ). Whatever caused the sticking happened to all 3 valves and is probably some residue from that bottle of valve oil. There is no FDA for valve oil ingredients unfortunately. Hey.... call the 800 or email whoever makes Al Cass with the lot # and you'll get free oil for sure ( if you want it )....or at least an attempt at their solution.

3. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Seems to me, that if you just kept oiling them every time you played, all whatever gunk was bothering you would have been dissolved and washed away by now....unless it's some mechanical issue.

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    If you have been using the same oil for some time, then it is unlikely to be the problem.

Valve issues are due to Dirt, Damage, or Distortion. The most likely in your case, especially on a Yamaha (because they tend to fit their valves tighter than other makers), is "dirt". You say that the horn was professionally cleaned - was this a chemical cleaning or an ultrasonic cleaning? These 2 methods are the most effective at removing the scale buildup in the casings. Does your Xeno have brass valve guides? These can cause valve problems especially if they have sharp edges. Do your valves stick after you apply a lot of oil? If this is the case, maybe the oil is migrating to the felts, causing them to shed a little lint which is getting stuck between the valve and the casing.

5. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Yamaha makes a "Viper Valve Oil" that their artist swear by. In researching it, it is a combination petro based oil with a mild detergent to clean and lubricate the valves. It might be the right oil for the Xeno. I had a similar problem with Al Cass oil and it ammounted to, that I was over applying it and it got gummy. So I cleaned out the valves good, swithed oils to Ultrapure. I am buying some Viper oil for my tighter valved Besson Brevette. I was recommende not to use Blue Juice because of it gumming up, as well. I don't use it anymore.

6. LuckilyCarolyn

LuckilyCarolyn New Friend

May 4, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    I have been using Al Cass for quite some time, and to be entirely honest, this problem has occurred before when the weather has been weird- But never to the point where a little bit of valve oil and a quick cleaning wouldn't solve it.
    I had it ultrasonically cleaned-- but I will check out the valve guides, as they are brass, and the felts. (slightly off topic, but is it normal to replace those? I'm quite sure those are the same as when I bought the horn 8 years ago)

As for an update- I found an unoccupied bathroom in my Performing Arts Center and used that. I think I'll use the tub in the bathroom of our dorm (it's very sketchy. I wouldn't touch it otherwise) for an even more thorough cleaning tomorow. I just needed to practice tonight- and things were very good right off the bat...but then started getting gummier really quickly. A little discouraging.

I think I will be ordering new valve oil though- I'll check out one of the threads on that and read up on some more reviews (so that everyone isn't repeating the same thing over and over again!) Also...I think I'll avoid anything that makes my trumpet smell like oranges. Sorry. Just....yeah.

7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I know you will not use this, but I will say it anyway:
    AVOID ammonia based detergents.... use only the mild soap detergents. Ammonia & Brass = problems.

Good luck.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree, it's time to try new oil.

9. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Blue Juice
    Magic
    Hetman
    Ultra Pure
    5 Starr
    Denis Wick
    La Tromba
    etc.
    Since the appearance on the market of all these boutique valve oils, it has become fashionable to bash Al Cass. I used Al Cass for years and years, and a lot of professional players still do. Yes, it has its issues, but wait until any of the above brands has been around for as long as Al Cass, and has been used in as many playing situations. Will any of them stand the test of time?

None of the above valve oils are perfect (with the exception of MAGIC, which is mine!). But it would be foolish to immediately blame sudden valve issues on long term usage.

With an important playing event looming, and barring physical issues with the trumpet, I would start looking at any possible playing/holding/usage issues.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I would also recommend a Blitz valve & slide cloth. It gets crud off of "clean" valves and slides for me regularly. You don't need a tub to use it and it's non toxic and fits in your case. Concerning oils, I've used Al Cass, Blue Juice (cuz it smells soooo good!) and Hetmans. I stuck with Hetmans cause I think it's a little faster. Sounds like a "dirt" issue to me. IF all else fails, acetone can be used (in a VERY WELL ventilated area) to get anything built up on the valves and casing.