Valve Job - A Learning Experience

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lipnutz, Feb 20, 2014.

1. lipnutz

lipnutz Pianissimo User

Dec 17, 2013
    A new experience in trumpet ownership. When you get a valve job done, an abrasive is used to lap the newly larger pistons for the perfect fit in the freshly honed casings. The abrasive consists of tiny crystals of industrial gemstone. Sometimes some of it lodges itself here and there in the trumpet. If after a valve job you suddenly find your valves frozen or nearly so and moving only with force and making a scraping sound, some of the abrasive has entered your valves and a thorough cleaning is need to get rid of it. FYI . . .

2. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    Good insight...a double or triple clean on return might be a good caution.

The other insight (maybe not that insightful) is going to a thinner oil.
    With the technology of today, very tight tolerances are very do-able. My usual Hetman's #2 was causing some sticky valves at first, so backed it up to #1 or Al Cass.
    But maybe some of that grit was still in there, as I did clean it a few times to try and speed up the sluggish valves.

3. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Wouldn't it be the shop's responsibility to wash all of the lapping compound out of the horn before returning it to the customer?

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Absolutely. Anytime a shop does major work on your horn they should clean it.

5. lipnutz

lipnutz Pianissimo User

Dec 17, 2013
    Just talking about what can happen, not what usually happens or should happen. Trying to share my life with you too!! <oh, the cruelty of humanity. sniff, snork>

6. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Well, your timing on this thread is good! I was just playing my Super today, and noticing some stickiness and other annoyances that stem from valve wear. I was poking around through some older threads to gather information about valve jobs before this thread even popped up. Uncanny!

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have been playing the trumpet for a VERY long time and have had several valvejobs (even some really senseless ones!)done. Never has a valve frozen up or the horn needed cleaning afterwards. A crap shop like that would not be in business for very long.

The abrasive used to lap valves is so fine that it could not cause a scraping sound or lockup - scraping sounds means DRY valves or pushing the valves down incorrectly and that is the function of hand position or oil.

The aerosols in our breath are often many times coarser than any lapping compound.

8. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    Hey man, are you saying my breath is coarse?? :)

rowuk likes this.
  9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No,
    I am saying that it is sometimes useful to analyse the sludge that collects in an instrument. The conclusions about the grit of your breath can be determined scientically....... ;-)

10. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    I was just kidding :) Good info…