Valve Job - A Learning Experience

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lipnutz, Feb 20, 2014.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Now that you (rowuk) mention it, right, that compound is too fine to make the piston lock up, otherwise they aren't using the right
    compound. IOW, it had better not feel like lotion plus sand or they are using the wrong stuff.

2. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I know in my shop, I fix a lot of student horns. Many of them have dents and dings on the piston casings, and I almost always use a lapping compound in one way or another on those horns. The repair itself is generally very quick and easy. Yet, I often charge for an hour or 1.5 hours of repair, simply because it takes a long time to clean all the lapping compound out. The repair itself is 5 minutes sometimes, the hard part is cleaning everything. Very important.

3. odd67ar

odd67ar Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    When I got my commitee back, after a valve job from Kanstul. The valves was perfect and they had cleaned it out.

4. govtmodel

govtmodel Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Rhode Island
    That's true, but the tolerance (allowable amount of variation of a specified quantity, esp. in the dimensions of a machine or part.) is irrelevant if the clearance is too large.ROFL

5. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Something else to keep in mind, after you get your horn back from a valve job, that you are essentially then breaking in brand new valves. So the same routine applies... clean every day for a week, every week for a month, and then whenever necessary.

Tom

6. faulken

faulken Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2013
    Greenwood, IN
    I had my valves done on my York Professional, recently a member in my band mentioned that the second valve hesitated sometimes. I didn't really notice, but saw in practice the day after. I cleaned the valves a few times after (about once a month). I wouldn't think that anything I was doing could make it hesitate. I am currently using 50/50 Blue Juice and Al Cass, but changed to just to Al Cass. I also try to use a good stroke while playing. I worked on keeping hand in a good position to have a straight push. I wonder if previous habits of horn are coming out. thoughts?

7. drmctchr

drmctchr Pianissimo User

Mar 19, 2012
    Last year I had my Recording cleaned. The tech man found a leak and soldered on a patch. The solder did not get thoroughly cleaned out and the same problem of stuck valves happened. With further cleaning, all work fine now.

8. faulken

faulken Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2013
    Greenwood, IN
    hope it didn't hurt the valves.