Valve Job Expectations

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TopGun, Jul 23, 2013.

1. TopGun

TopGun Pianissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Hello friends!

I've got a Mt. Vernon and it definitely has compression issues related to the valves. The horn blows real smooth and the sound is pretty cool but lacks a strong core. Intonation is good. What can I expect it to change from a valve job in terms of playing characteristics?

Thanks,
    TG

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Expect it to have better compression. It should be an easier blow as a result, without much effecting the sound. I had my Olds Recording redone by Anderson for crisp, like new compression. Sounds the same, with less energy put into the horn to get that same sound.

3. TopGun

TopGun Pianissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Less energy sounds good. It is difficult to play loud on it and get a lot of pop on the articulation. Just wanted to get an idea of what I'm going to get.

And I see Dr. Valve is running about $500 these days. Any comments on his work vs cheaper alternatives.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yep, I would say a little less effort, a bit more volume, and a better-sounding mid to lower register. The last valve job I had done was through Southeastern Musical. They did the prep work and Anderson Plating did the plating/honing. It cost me around $350, but that was a few years ago.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I originally sent my Olds Recording into Tom Green for a refurbish. One of the refurbishes was to have my valve compression optimized. Tom contacted me and noted he contracts out that work to Anderson's. That added another $300 on my total cost for that refurbish. I am not sure if this is the price you or I could get from Andersons, but that is the price Tom Green charges when he sends that work off to Andersons.

6. TopGun

TopGun Pianissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    This fits the instrument. High register is pretty good right now. Mid and low are a little too much work at forte.

7. theo van kampen

theo van kampen Pianissimo User

May 30, 2004
    Amsterdam Holland
    I shipped recently a beat up Olds Super with worn valves to Charlie Melk and got it back technically like new.

Before the valve job it took a quite lot of efford to play the instrument, compared to the Olds Super I had with very good valves.
    After the valve job she plays like a new instrument, I am very happy that I took the dicision and manned up the expences to let it done

I highly recomment Charlie Melk, he did the job right

J. Jericho likes this.
  8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have read nothing that would indicate that the valves have a problem. There are plenty of "stiff blowing" Bach trumpets - even with good compression. The biggest problem on my Bachs was the clearances on the first and third slides. They were too loose - even new,

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The thread is about 4.5 years old, but today, I would suggest the OP trying some thicker valve oil first. If the horn plays better (especially in the lower register) with the thicker oil, then the valves are leaky. If there's no noticeable change, then it's something else.

10. theo van kampen

theo van kampen Pianissimo User

May 30, 2004
    Amsterdam Holland
    Try some thikker vaseline

The valves on my Olds Super where worn out; only the 3th valve still had something like compression. Mr. Melk advised me -indeed- to let done a valve job.

He did.

The results are stunning

J. Jericho likes this.