Valve Lapping

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by roltrumpet, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    US Products, Pittsburgh PA - Garnett non-imbedding lapping compound formulated for soft metals, 800 and 1000 grit.

Then you have to know if, when, and how.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    A guy told me he used crocus cloth on his valves if they were sticky. I cringed!:-o:?::shock: Was my reaction "justified"?

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Sounds like a really bad idea.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Bottom-line it seems, from all these posts - your instrument, do what you like with it but don't whinge when you inevitably stuff up a good trumpet because you have no idea what you are doing.

I have not read any description here of what I consider to be a complete and correct engineering lapping technique - I did a five year apprenticeship including how to correctly hand lap both hard and soft materials. I have used, and taught, these learned techniques and honed (no pun intended) them over 40 years of engineering practice. Mostly these processes are not taught anymore - manufacturing techniques are more refined, materials are better, we are a disposable society - in the 'old days', stuff was repaired because we HAD to, now it's just thrown away.

What can I suggest, with respect to my backgound? CLEAN your trumpet regularly, don't eat/drink then play, lubricate moving parts with good quality and appropriate lubricants after cleaning, and above all treat your instruments with gentle respect. If you have ANY doubts (even just a mental niggle) about any if this - get your horn to a quality repairer STAT. :shhh:

5. Kang-Ling

Kang-Ling Mezzo Piano User

Oct 8, 2009
    Frigiliana
    I just made this "Plop-test" (taking out valves with not depressing the valves) with one of my older horns :
    there are "plops", but not very "explossive" ones..

just blowing air through the trumpet, with (for ex.) first valve pressed and the whole of the 1º slide (with a finger) closed, I can hear some air escaping...(worst is 3º valve)

the horn has still a very nice sound, but is maybe harder to blow than years ago...

I do´t know if it´s worth to get the valves newly plated
    ( it´s a Stomvi from 1985, and it costed about 1500$ then, don´t remember.. )

over the years , I had quiet some repair expenses with this horn, so - now - I am thinking of a limite/stop of repair spendings...)

6. Ralph

Ralph Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
  7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    This is when the horn is made. When a horn is damaged, sometimes lapping is necessary as a last ditch effort to fix valve issues.
    Probably less than 1% of all repair shops in the world have the capability to hone and plate valves.

8. Ralph

Ralph Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
    I didn't make it very clear, but my main point is that valves are a highly percisioned item and casually hand lapping at home is a mistake. The tolerances are usually very close.

My second point, which is probably more useful, is addressed with the second video. Keep your valves clean and oiled. If there's a persistent problem, then the horn need professional help.

9. Kang-Ling

Kang-Ling Mezzo Piano User

Oct 8, 2009
    Frigiliana
    a cheap "solution" for leaky valves is thick oil ????

10. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    If your valves are worn and leaky, a thicker oil will help.
    Hetman's makes many grades of oils, and Yamaha has light, normal and antique grades for example.