Valve Lapping

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by roltrumpet, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Kang-Ling

Kang-Ling Mezzo Piano User

Oct 8, 2009
    Frigiliana
    many thanks Brekelefuw,

I will see if I can get this Hetman´s oils here.
    (as you get older, your horns get older , and if you don´t have $€$ , bad thing..)

so: the Yamaha light oil is for the actual high-tech-horns and the Yamaha antique-oil for the old trash ?

I just made a (maybe brutal) experiment :
    3 drops of Al Cass oil + 1 drop of "3-in-1"-oil (I know this product is not -especifically- made for horns) , over a valve of an old Getzen flugel is working cool (for now) : softy...

same mix on a Benge valve just makes all very stiky...

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Yes, I believe the antique is the thickest.

3. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    For just slight lapping, my professor recommended the following:

1. Take out your pistons
    2. Lathe Lava Soap on your hands and apply it to your pistons
    3. Take off your valve bottom caps and put your pistons upside down through the bottom opening
    4. Gently slide the piston up and down. If it moves smoothly, then just wash off the soap and all is well. Otherwise, keep sliding it up and down until it gets smooth

My out-of-the-bach Strad from the warehouse made during the strike was so bad that I had to force the valves and "lap" them with the lava soap application until it was "just right"

Now it's super smooth with flawless compression. If you have a crappy strike-era Bach Strad, you should definitely try this.

Otherwise, I'd listen to rowuk and take his word that if your pistons need lapping, it's a bigger problem then just needing to lap your valves...

keehun

4. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    My Yammie had 2 valves that would experience a slight bit of "chatter" as the pistons were depressed. Took the horn to the UNT Brass Shop and had all valves and slides custom lapped. Wow! what a difference. Silky smooth, and still has great compression.
    A friend sold his Xeno because of constant valve issues.

Find a good shop in your area and have them fix you up. My total cost for this was less than $70.