Valve Maitenence - Great Video

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by abtrumpet, Aug 18, 2010.

1. elduque

elduque New Friend

Jul 8, 2010
    Upstate, NY
    What I find interesting is that they do not mention that the valve casing be coated with an abundance of oil. They doused the valve to get rid of any burnishings/particles that may have rubbed off during use or been blown in. However, the valve is only 1 of 2 surfaces that could contain this debris. Wouldn't it make sense to make sure the case is debris-free too?

I know they washed it under the sink and scrubbed it well, but they only recommended that once every month or two, while oiling the valves after every use.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I've never oiled valves after I play. This isn't to say that it shouldn't be done, but I had a Bach Strad for over 10 years as my primary trumpet where I never had an issue with the valves, and while I did oil fairly often, I never oiled before I put the horn back in the case. Maybe it's a body chemistry thing because I know people who always seem to have valve problems, and I've never had issues with any trumpet I have ever owned.

Flushing out the valve casings is a good idea, but it's not something I do other than in normal maintenance cleaning of my horn. When I was an Army Bandsman and playing daily, I did a full cleaning of my trumpet about once every 3-4 weeks - it needed it at least that often.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  3. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I try to always chew gum before I play too. I remember from when I was a kid, my older sister had to make sure food particles didn't get into her flute, so she had to not eat an hour before playing it.

4. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    I saw this video right before I went to lunch, took a look at my vavles on my Pocket Trumpet and yup !! Dammm.... now I have to clean that damm thing...................:shock:

5. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

The video ran very smooth for me.

6. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    That's the fault of your computer and/or internet connection :dontknow:

7. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    Great video, thanks, I think I'll start oiling everytime I play, instead of just when it jams... :p

do you use dial up?

8. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009