valve noise amplified

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Apr 8, 2010.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I'm using a microphone that clips onto the bell of my trumpet. Every sound, pretty or otherwise, is going through a guitar amplifier. The slap of a depressed or released valve can be heard through the amp. Do any of you veteran electro-horn players have a remedy for this problem?

crow

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    You may benefit from cranking the gain down, and make sure the mike is in the right spot in front of or in the bell. The trumpet sound should be many db higher than any mechanical noise. Try less gain for the mic input and more for the amp output.

Put some foam between trumpet and the mic clip. And the mike itself should be accoustically insulated from the mounting device

v

3. Mark Green

Mark Green New Friend

Mar 3, 2010
    Anchorage, Alaska USA
    I don't like clip-on mics for this and a few other reasons. Other reasons: you can't conveniently blow tons of air through a cold horn that's been on the stand while you were doing something else without removing or muting the mic; mute insertion and removal can be a pain; transferring the mic to your flugelhorn is cumbersome; you forget about the mic and plunk the horn onto the trumpet stand clumsily, risking the mic; etc. Plus you might not be as easily able to utilize a plexiglass disc reflector (this auditory monitor is INVALUABLE helping you hear what the heck you are playing so you don't kill your chops).

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Research "Sorbothane". The answer should be obvious.

Tom

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hi Crow,
    new felts for the valves and turn the bass down on the guitar amp.

Sorbothane would make some interesting felt replacements.

6. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    These are all good suggestions! Each one makes good sense. I might even get a sheet of Sorbothane and use it for the mic clip, and valve pads. It's funny that Rowuk would suggest turning the bass down on the amp. I turn treble and Mid off, and put bass to full. I tend to prefere that sound. But I'll reverse my preference and see if it makes a difference with the valve noise. Thanks to all.

crow