Valve Oil Debate

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet blower88, Jul 24, 2005.

Synthetic, or Petroleum based?

1. Synthetic

98.8%
  2. Petroleum

1.2%
  1. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Wich do you prefer and why?

My section has been debateing this the last few years. My teacher, our other section leader, and I all prefer petroleum based oil, but the other 11 kids in my section are supporters of this "Fat Cat" Synthetic stuff.

I like petroleum based (like pro-oil from Kanstul) because 1) it seems to last longer, and 2) it won't harm the valves. I've heard that sythetic oils will start to corrode the metal on the valves and the inside of the caseings. I don't know if this is true or not, but I figure that the rumor has to start somewhere by someone who had some bad luck with synthetic oil.

I was just curious to what oils everyone else used and with one (synthetic or petroleum) you like better.

2. butxifxnot

butxifxnot Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    Here...
    Could someone educate me on the difference? The physical difference. I use stuff called Blue Juice.

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I use synthetics in my car and my horn!

ML

4. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

How can you stand the smell of that stuff? It gives me a sore throat.

I have an empty Fat Cat bottle that says it contains petroleum distillates. Is there something new?

5. butxifxnot

butxifxnot Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    Here...
    :-) It oils.
    I wouldn't know; haven't used it orally.
    So, what is the difference between synthetic and petroleum? One is more flammable than the other?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Manny, What synthetics are you running in your car and horn?

7. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ

Yeah... Now I'm confused... I thought Fat Cat was synthetic, and Blue Juice was petroleum based... Possibly I have them confused.

Ok... I got it straight now. The rest of the section used blue juice (synthetic), my teacher and other section leader uses Fat Cat (petroleum).

Sorry, I got the names mixed up.

8. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I use Zaja Blue. I think it is petro based. Good stuff.

9. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Blue Juice smells like mineral spirits or kerosene. That wouldn't be synthetic either. Mineral spirits are (is?) contain petroleum distillates also. Kerosene is well.... made from oil.

Manny you don't use that Monette endorsed Ultra Pure oil on your valves? What do you use?

10. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK
    Olive Oil, niether synthetic nor petroleum based. Smells nice too if you get some garlic infused stuff! :-P