Valve Oil Debate

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet blower88, Jul 24, 2005.

Synthetic, or Petroleum based?

1. Synthetic

98.8%
  2. Petroleum

1.2%
  1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Ultra Pure isn't synthetic? Oops! Sorry, I thought it was... shows you how much attention I pay! What an idiot.. as far as my car, I just bought it a month ago and I'm not due for a change for another 8,000 miles so I'll let you know then!

ML

2. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

I thought that I saw somwhere that Ultra Pure valve oil was 99% liquid wax paraffin which is the same as Ultra Pure lamp oil. Maybe I am wrong?

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    According to the Ultra Pure website,

It IS a synthetic oil.

"Ultra-Pure Professional Valve Oil is an odorless, long-lasting, non-toxic synthetic lubricant developed to be the smoothest and most reliable valve oil you will ever find." (from the website)

Also, knowing trumpet players......they add

"If swallowed, Ultra-Pure Professional Valve Oil will most likely have a laxative effect. Just to be safe, call your doctor if a lot of oil is swallowed."

I'll have to try some. (in my horn)

-cw-

4. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    I may be a little crazy[no comments please] but it seems to me that different oils seem to work better in different horns. some of the best oil that I ever used was some home made stuff that a friend of mine makes but stinks to high heaven. most of your oils before the synth. oils were de-scented kerosene. old geezer Dave

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    About four or five years ago I called Brasswind to get oil. I thought I would try an experiment. I bought five different kinds of oil. They were all the same. I could use any of them with the same results.

The only time I noticed a difference is when I got my Monette trumpet and the oil that came with it was remarkably better. I have given bottles to people that were going to give up on their trumpets because of sticky valves.

You have to wash the trumpet first to get all the old stuff off and you will have the best oil in the world.

"Ultra Pure"

6. upoils

upoils Pianissimo User

Aug 1, 2005
    Philomath, Oregon
    Ultra-Pure Professional Valve Oil _is_ synthetic

Manny and others --
    I am the manufacturer of Ultra-Pure Professional Valve Oil. As one of you has mentioned, it is synthetic. It has nothing to do with the lamp oil with a similar name (Ultra-Pure Lamp Oil). Check out my website for information and customer endorsements, including those from Wynton Marsalis, Arturo Sandoval, Dave Douglas, and many other great players. I would love to hear from you! Write to [email protected].

Thanks,
    Ken Saul,
    Owner Ultra-Pure Oils
    www.ultrapureoils.com

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Ken!

Welcome!

Just ordered some of your oil.

-cw-

8. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    the best i've used was kerosene.

dj

9. DCB

DCB Pianissimo User

Mar 10, 2004
    N. Florida
    I have been a Zaja user for years... Zaja blue is the most resent.... but I just got a order of Warburton PDQ. It smells bad but I like it better than the Zaja. One more thing about the PDQ is the bottle... not the best, so I put it in another bottle and all is great!
    http://www.warburton-usa.com/accessorystore.htm

10. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Re: Ultra-Pure Professional Valve Oil _is_ synthetic

Thanks a lot for the clarification. Sorry I had it wrong. Now I have to remember where I saw the incorrect information.