Valve Oil...Mineral Based vs. Synthetic Part 2

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rushtucky, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Okay , so my 55 gallon drum of Ultra Pure arrived the other day and I went ahead and washed my 1525 for the first time. Would you believe I found spiral metal shavings, okay, just one, in my bath? I was pleased when I discovered that, for I knew my horn was factory fresh. Thank You Tulsa.(PLUG) I Ultra Pured it when dry and I'm sold. ('Notha Plug):D

That "velvet smooth" action experience everyone mentions was all there.
    Also be it known, I'm using the compatible Ulra pure light and regular grease as well, because you already know how I am about compatible compounds.

2. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I am glad that I opened the door here. Looks like there may be some converts. To set the record straight, I do NOT endorse Ultra Pure or any product other than Bach instruments. I just find that the Ultra Pure product, at least for my use (clarified), works best for me and I have found it to be the superior product.

3. Bachstul

Jan 25, 2009
    I have to tell the truth. You know how products change further to cut back, increase profitability, etc. "The hamburger patty is always getting smaller and now a days there are only three peanuts in a box of Cracker Jack." I remember tons of peanuts, folks, same with Al Cass oil. I withheld why I thought I'd try the other oil, that happens to be synthetic, versus my old Al Cass.

I had a couple bottles left half full of AC oil, probably three years old. The six bottles I ordered last month arrived and one new bottle I tried was different. The nozzle released the fluid at a much faster rate than I was used to from using the older bottles. I tried all the others, too, they spilled oil easily all over the place. I determined that the nozzle on these new bottles are all dispensing the product at a sloppy, wasteful rate and I had to be careful. I imagined this wider nozzle was put on the bottles so the product would be consumed at a faster rate, hence more stock replenishment on our part and increased sales on their part. The Ultra Pure bottle has that "Are you sure you want another drop?" nozzle that I'm used to. I could with UP once again, "paint" the oil on my valves and not make a mess. You call me paranoid, I say, what do you suppose the corporate think tanks do all week? I remember what a real Reeses Peanut butter cup tastes like folks. You won't get one of those today.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  4. Bachstul

Jan 25, 2009

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    So, what is the bottom line?

Oil properly. If that oil is petroleum based, EVERY DAY (last test that I read said the petroleum part evaporates in about 17 hours). If it is synthetic AND you brush your teeth properly before playing, at least once a week. If you don't brush or oil properly, your valves will not disintegrate, they will just wear and after 5 or 10 years really need a technician.

Do not switch oils right before a concert. If there is a compatibility issue with your slide grease, life can get VERY tough!!!!

That "silky" feeling does not mean that the valves are lubricated properly. There is no gauge for oil pressure on a trumpet. Oiling needs to be part of our routine: disassemble, clean and dry, oil. Oiling on top of moist valves only thins out the sludge. It does not protect the valves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Mosth washing liguids have grease cuttersthat hold the grease suspended in the water. It will not cling to the parts of the horn when you rinse them off under running water.