Valve oil on 3rd valve slide?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rhosch, Mar 8, 2009.

1. rhosch

rhosch New Friend

Feb 19, 2009
    For years I have used valve oil on my 3rd valve slide instead of grease. My normal routine is to clean it well about once a week, put on some slide grease and wipe that off nearly dry, then use valve oil when reassembling. I oil it daily along with valves, and repeat the cleaning weekly.

Since I haven't seen this mentioned before, I have to wonder... am I alone? And if so (or not), am I in danger of doing any damage to the slide? I have always preferred the slide to move as quickly and easily as a valve, and this accomplishes that.

Interestingly (or not), I have also always just used grease on the first valve slide. Perhaps because it has to move a much shorter distance, or perhaps because my thumb is much stronger, or perhaps because it is used much less often. I'm not sure.

2. lemmon13

lemmon13 New Friend

Mar 7, 2009
    no you are not alone. i dont oil and clean as often as you but i use a combination of both greece and oil i usually put just one or two drops though . i dont think it will do any damage to your horn.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have never had a horn where valve oil allowed a fast action without leaking. Slide grease is not only to lube and protect slides. It also keeps the water and air pressure in the horn. A slide that is "loose" enough for valve oil probably is not air tight.

4. y0da777

y0da777 Pianissimo User

Feb 28, 2009
    do i live here?????
    i too use a mix of oil ad greece for my third valve slide. but i dont clean it as often as you.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  5. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    i oil my 3rd valve slide everyday aswell, i bathe my entire trumpet every two weeks but my slide gets a wipe down everyweek like urs, so no u arent alone

6. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    If you have never tried Ultra Pure you have no idea what you are missing. Not only do they make a valve oil but slide grease in two weights one for tuning slides and a light grease for first and third slides. The grease is wonderful. I just used it on my piccolo whose third slide was very stiff. It now works beautifully.

7. rhosch

rhosch New Friend

Feb 19, 2009
    No leaking. Valve compression is also good, and both third valve and third slide can be checked by extending the third slide in open valve position, waiting several seconds, and then depressing third valve and hearing a nice thunk from the vacuum being filled. I've never noticed any bubbling, hissing, or other signs of air leaking from that slide. The very very thin coat of grease might help with that seal... I never do oil on a bone dry slide, but on one that has just a slight grease residue left.

But perhaps all the hissing and bubbling from my leaking corners is covering up my third slide leaking! Hah! :)

8. rhosch

rhosch New Friend

Feb 19, 2009
    I had actually been using Blue Juice for a while, and liked it although it required daily oiling. I have some Ultra Pure on order now since I'm finally running low and have a reason to change. I need to check into the greases you mentioned, since the third slide on my picc is less than silky smooth. I know the shorter tubing lengths contribute to that, so it will take a little more TLC to get it working well. For now I've been able to set it and leave it, since the pieces I've played haven't required all the possible combinations to combat intonation problems, but soon enough I'll run into a situation where I might want it to move and won't be able to.

9. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    For all the slides of all my horns (trumpets, cornet, flugel) I don't use dedicated grease, but the Trombotine which is for trombone slides. I have tried a lot of other brands, for trumpets, with or without oil added, but I prefer this one made for bones. Am I stupid ?

10. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    I do that sometimes too, I put the grease on and a couple drops of oil on on top of the grease.