Valve oil on 3rd valve slide?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rhosch, Mar 8, 2009.

1. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I've been using the Hetman Slide Oil and so far it's worked pretty well. Before I ordered that I had some success with (believe it not) Breakfree CLP. The Hetman oil is slightly better. :-)

Tom

2. giordami

giordami New Friend

Jan 24, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I recently had some work done on my Yamaha trumpet by a large instrument repair shop in the Phoenix area that included an acid bath. Following a long storage period, the tuning slide & 2nd valve slide were totally frozen and the 1st & 3rd slides were very sluggish. All the slides were worked on and they work super smooth now.

The repair tech advised me to continue to use what they had put on the 1st and 3rd slides: just Hetman Synthetic Bearing & Linkage Lubricant 14 (Rotary Valve) and nothing else. This oil is much thicker than their slide valve oil. I usually put it on once a week and it stays very smooth and easy to use - no air leakage or oozing out of the slides. I wipe off the old and put the new back on even though it really doesn't even need it after a week.

3. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    I used Ultra Pure before, and it's just too thick for my trumpet. You shouldn't have to use that much effort to get your slide out. Just out of curiosity, why don't you just try a more thin grease or slide oil? What Rowuk said is right, I don't think oil provides an adequate seal. Since you don't want to use that much effort to pull out a slide, maybe Hetman #5 would work for you. It's a great product. And if you are still feeling like it's to hard to wrench out the slide with that product, put just a bit of valve oil on it.

4. rhosch

rhosch New Friend

Feb 19, 2009
    I may try some oils intended for rotary valves or slides and see how I like them. One of the drawbacks of my current approach is that since I was using Blue Juice, I had to oil it every time I played, much like my valves. I'll try the Ultra Pure synthetic oil and see if it lasts longer. I'll borrow some rotary oil and see if I like the feel. But I don't have any leaking issues now, so I don't see any real reason to "fix" something that works well.

Good to know that I'm not the only one who prefers oil(s) over grease!

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I just use Schilke slide grease and work the 3rd slide for 5 minutes and I'm good to go. It last me several months.

6. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    I never have tried to put oil on my slide. But now I think I'll try it. My horn kinda of hangs up once and and while. It's affected me while I've gone to pull it out and it hangs up and makes my horn jerk. It's not a grease problem, its the horn, but if I don't pull it back in all the way I never have that problem.

I use Blue Juice and I'm very happy with it. I don't have to reoil my horn everyday though. Alot of people do when they use it, i don't know, maybe it's just my horn???
    I've never tried Ultra Pure, they don't carry it at my local music store. Do you guys recommend me buying it in quantities online??

7. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Rotory Valve oil is what I use due to it's thickness. I use Holton's Rotory Valve Oil. Good results

8. sayluvee

sayluvee New Friend

Mar 19, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I put on grease and then add a few drops - I do this on my first valve slide too - it seems to work fine

9. oljackboy

oljackboy Pianissimo User

Feb 26, 2009
    Falls Church, Virginia
    My tech taught me to take an empty valve oil bottle, pop off the nozzle, then refill the bottle with a 50/50 mixture of valve oil and Mobil 1 5w30 motor oil. Makes a gold-colored lube that gives just the right feel to the first and third slides.

10. jphnc64

jphnc64 New Friend

Jan 23, 2009
    NC
    I use clarinet key oil. It's very slick and a little thicker than valve oil. Some products claim to be a combination of valve oil and key oil. I avoid them. They are not as thick as plain clarinet key oil.