Valve Oil What are the differences?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kctrumpeteer, Aug 27, 2010.

1. F.E.Olds

F.E.Olds Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2010
    I use Al Cass valve oil and it has always done very, very well for me. I see no reason for me to move to a different oil. I oil the valves usually every day but if I am playing heavily sometimes twice and my valve always work wonderfully.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Your horns like the caffeine :lol: !

3. LuckilyCarolyn

LuckilyCarolyn New Friend

May 4, 2010
    Northern Minnesota

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure. I know I have a Yamaha Xeno- thats the easy part. But I got it...in...2005? probably there-abouts. haha.

I'm up in Grand Rapids-- so a little bit farther north. haha!

4. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    I cleaned my horn and used the hetmans synthetic oil and and haven't had to re-oil it since then. There is a HUGE difference in the way the valves work in that they are very smooth and I haven't had to continue to re-oil them.

5. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I like Break-Free but so far I've been good and have resisted trying Hoppe's No. 9 (although I wonder if that may be the ticket for a couple of stuck slides on my #2 horn?)

6. piccolomaster

piccolomaster Pianissimo User

Jan 23, 2008
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I concur tobylou8. I use all three Hetman synthetic oils. My Bach-Stradivarius trumpets and cornet I use No.3, the Schilke I use No.2, For tight valves eg. Yamaha I use No.1.

Cheers.:play::play::play:

7. ottoa57

ottoa57 Pianissimo User

Feb 15, 2010
    Macomb, Mi
    Hi, Has anyone tried Bells' Super Lube OR Denis Wick valve oil? NO mention of either.

Thanks

8. Carroll W. Schroeder

Carroll W. Schroeder Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    I'm in a situation of not knowing just what to do, I put my Getzen Severinsen away close to 40 years ago and then brought it out and the valves were slow, so I used some blue juice to get them going again after cleaning and the horn seemed to like it, my teacher talked me into using Ultra pure and either I have had trouble with over oiling and stickyness and when I laid off after some personal surgery I went back and one valve was stuck , could hardly get it out, put some more Blue juice back and everything seem ok. Needless to say my horn dosen't like Ultra Pure. Wish I hadn' thrown the old oil away,don't remember what it was but never had any problems like the ones we have today.

9. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    PJ1 - go fast like Kenny Roberts
    EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) - great for Italian music, goes well with balsamic vinegar
    Al Cass - Who can argue with that picture of a 1950s rocket? FAST!
    Yamalube - for Yamahas only
    Rotella-T - for the long, long haul, will always make you think of a truck stop
    McD's fryer oil - tasty, not recommended if you're on a diet, should give you a "fat" tone
    Ultra Pure Oil - we make those molecules march through the filter one by one!
    Goose Grease - fine stuff, beware of occasional "honking" notes.
    PAM - Spray 'n' pray
    2-stroke oil - OK if you always play in 2/2 time
    Break-Free CLP - good for Army tanks, good for your horn. Esp, if it's a bugle
    3-In-1 Oil - We wanna know what the '3' is first
    Old Leftover High School Band Oil You Got With Your Used Horn - why not?